Why do Mormons baptize dead people?

Link below...

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:13 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It is believed that the only way to enter the kingdom of heaven is by being baptized and doing the proper ordinances. The church believes they hold the key to doing all those correctly.

They baptize those who havent heard the gospels message and done those correct ordinances in order to give them the chance to get to the Celestial kingdom(highest kingdome where families can be together forever and live with God/Jesus). The person baptized then can accept or reject the baptism up there in heavens waiting room.

You have to understand that the LDS believe they have the only true keys to doing baptism and other ordinances for God correctly as they have the priesthood. So to them they are helping out those who may not have heard the gospel and give them that chance for eternal happiness.

I was a member, born and raised, and did hundreds of baptisms. So although no longer a member I know what Im talking about.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:51 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I am mormon and none of you have a clue what you are talking about!
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 10:51 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Yeah- i knew about this I'm gladc they made the agreement with the Jewish leaders to stop.
    When we were in Utah I remember stories on the news about this
    *but a LOT of news there revolves around the LDS church so...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:25 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• They believe it's there duty to make sure everyone can go to heaven, and they believe that their baptism is the only one that will get you to heaven. I dont think it's right at all, your baptising someone who hasn't and can't consent to it. I saw something about the Jewish holocaust baptisms before and it's just disturbing in my opinion. But even though they stopped doing the jewish community it didnt stop them from continueing with the rest of the people in the world.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:27 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• its not like a dead person is going to sit up and say, ''eh..no. i don't want this.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    And if they do, remember RULE #2 ... The Double Tap

On the serious side, unless the family of the deceased asked for them to do this, they are being, IMO, incredibly arrogant and rather disrespectful.

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:44 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 8:13 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• ew.. thats morbid, Hart LOL
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:14 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Zoeyis... well in the link it seems they were doing post death baptism for HOLOCAUST victims... not THAT is morbid! lol.

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 8:17 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Glad without a c ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:26 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I guess because if any of those people were related- according to the Mormons, they wouldn't be together in the afterlife without their baptism?
    and at the end of the article it says
    "The church holds there is nothing coercive about its offering of baptism.

"A departed soul in the afterlife is completely free to accept or reject such baptism," according to LDS church statements. "The church has never claimed the power to force deceased persons to become church members." "

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:50 AM on Nov. 11, 2010