Magnesium?

The doctors are currently trying to put me on magnesium sulfate at the hospital right now. After 2 shots of the T-word stuff (cant remember the name). I'm 35 weeks, and they say its my only option. I'm really scared because of the things I"ve read about it. Any suggestions? Any one done this?

Smexkitten

Asked by Smexkitten at 8:02 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I was on a magnesium drip for a week before my son was born because I had preeclampsia.

It is not pleasant.  I had hot flashes and felt groggy and out of it.  Like I couldn't wake all the way up.  The first day was the worst while they were getting the levels right.  Then it got better.  Still icky, but by no means unbearable. I had a little fan that I kept aimed at my face all the time. It really helped with the hot flushed feeling I got from the mag and the fluids.

It also helped regulate my blood pressure it went down and stayed down for a week and the mag was the only thing I was on.

Do you have preeclampsia?  If you do, you need to take the mag.  You could have sesuires, or they could deliver earlier.  I went in the hospital at 34 weeks and they were able hold off delivering for a week because of the mag.

PM me if you have other questions!

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 8:12 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• i Was on it 2x when I delivered both of my children and I hated it! I was on it due to pre-eclampsia and it was really bad, I'm sure there were other things contributing to the bad experience too. why exactly do they want to put you on it??
    mamaof2748

Answer by mamaof2748 at 8:15 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I delivered my first at 34 wks, after I had her I was OUT! I could barley remember anything too. But like maureen55 said, sometimes you need it..
    mamaof2748

Answer by mamaof2748 at 8:17 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Hi, I'm the boyfriend. They want to stop the pre-term labor because if we were to have our child now, "He won't survive", which seems ridiculous to me. But anyways they put her on the Magnesium and are going to watch her overnight, joy!
    Smexkitten

Answer by Smexkitten at 8:19 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I was on mag for about 9 weeks and it made me gain 20 lbs of fluid in three days the last week. also..... the HOT FLASHES! I finally made it to 34 weeks and then they said I could refuse it. I did and my now 21 month old daughter was born at 34 weeks and is fine and had no problems at birth and none now.
    paw3884

Answer by paw3884 at 1:16 PM on Nov. 4, 2008