Where do you donate your stuff?

We all end up going through all of our junk at some point to donate to charity. Which one do you donate to?

I have a large box of stuff that I was going to take to Goodwill. My husband mentioned a women's and children's shelter in town. He's taking our stuff there on Friday. There are preschooler girl clothes, shoes, and books, and adult sized clothing as well. There are also a bunch of Bibles and one Book of Mormon.

We figured they'd get more use at the shelter than a Goodwill store.

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 8:14 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I used to donate to Goodwill, but then my daughter made a great point. We were donating to the poor people and the Goodwill sold things at a pretty high rate. We now donate to Churches and Shelters that give the clothes and household items away. We want the stuff to go to the needy, if a momma needs clothes for her baby and cant afford them there is not much difference between Walmart at $4.00 and the Goodwill at $3.50....
    fluffymomma175

Answer by fluffymomma175 at 10:49 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Goodwill

Answer by older at 8:15 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• they have these charity bins by our grocery store we can put things in and they come pick em up
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:16 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• There are a couple I use. Goodwill and there is a charity for veterans where I live. The proceeds after evertyhing goes to them in our neighborhood. Such as helping with housing, schooling, vehicles. Things like that.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:17 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I take them to either my local Help Center, which distributes clothing to low income in my area and also runs a thrift store (with incredibly low prices), or I take them to my local Women's shelter.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 8:21 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My area has donation boxes set up in parking lots. I new one that I enjoy donating to is a Charity for Breast Cancer, I'm not sure on what the company is called but I always take my uneeded things to their drop off boxes. If I don't give them away to friends first.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 8:24 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• First I try to find things that other moms or friends could use or might want and ask them, what's left I take to Goodwill or the christian womens center and drop off. Sometimes, if I feel led to approach someone I see in the parking lot with kids my kids ages and gender I will just walk up to them and ask them if they planned on shopping for their kids and offer what I was going to donate. It saves them a few dollars and I feel better giving it directly to someone quickly.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:36 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Since my hubby is military we usually donate to the Airman's Attic on base. But usually I try to give stuff away to friends/family first. I think it is great that you are donating to the womans shelter!
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:40 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Goodwill, the Shelter and the Big Brothers/Big Sisters organization
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:42 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Goodwill and Salvation Army
    psgilbert

Answer by psgilbert at 8:45 AM on Nov. 11, 2010