How can I help my 2 month old self soothe?

I EBF, and he seems to want to comfort nurse a lot. I tried giving him a pacifier but he doesn't want it, and he gets frustrated when trying to suck on his hands.

matreshka

Asked by matreshka at 8:40 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He is too young yet, he needs you!

Answer by older at 8:42 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I would put him down in a spot where he could see me, and I would go over to him periodically and touch him and talk to him. I would start out with very short periods of time, and then I would gradually increase that time. Most babies can be very content as long as they can see or hear that someone is close by.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:44 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I agree with Older. You soothe him and at 2 months old he may be needing to nurse a lot.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:45 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Maybe he needs some food or check his mouth for gum bumps. My oldest started eating babyfood at 3 weeks just a bit each day he was and is a eater. Chunck as a baby but no effect that stayed with him he is tall healthy and lean now I get told to feed him more now. So don't think if you feed him and it helps you are pushing him to be over weight. Just a bit and make sure it is something like a veggie baby food. see if it works! If you want to but if not then don't try something else..Listen to you and your baby you don't have to do something that does not feel right...Good luck!!
    mamagator

Answer by mamagator at 8:47 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Vibrating swing. A stuffed animal or small blanket. Just letting him cry it out.
    If you want to do this that's your choice, but nobody can decide but you.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:47 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• They don't soothe themselves at this age, most are not capable of it. Either you soothe them, or replace yourself with something like a pacifier, swing, bouncy seat, etc...

Get a sling and you can soothe him nearly hands-free.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:25 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• It's too early, sorry. Give baby more time. A sling will help you TREMENDOUSLY.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Have you tried "wearing your baby?" He probably needs to nurse a lot right now anyways... and I actually have been able to nurse him in the frontal baby backpack while doing things... he is so used to being close to you and this world feels all foreign to him. I had to nurse my son almost every hour or two for almost three months... then it backed off to about every 3 or so hours... just be patient and try and listen to what he is telling you... mine won't take a pacifier either...neither did my first one... till he started teething, then it was just a chew toy.
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 2:31 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• my kids would need a certain pacifier and what I had to do was try different shapes until one "took" not all babies like the same shape paci but at this age it is the only way to self sooth
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 10:20 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• He's only two months old. He wants mommy! :)
    My son loves his pacifier and has since birth. My dd has NEVER taken one and she's 6 mo old now and still doesn't. I wish she did, but nothing gets her to take it other than chewing it a little when she's teething! lol
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 12:36 AM on Nov. 13, 2010