Do you let your kids buy Christmas gifts for family members?

I make my kids help with certain holiday tasks to earn money to spend for christmas. They make up to $20 each and have a list of who they want to buy for. I take them to the dollar store to pick because they are 7 and 4 and like to buy for everyone and then I let them wrap and bag everything themselves. They are so excited to GIVE their gifts at christmas they always want to do that before even thinking about opening their own.

foxracing43701

Asked by foxracing43701 at 8:51 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Holidays

• We do the same thing. Except we go to nursing homes, for the ones that don't have family.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 8:59 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• we really don't other than my 2 kids get something for each other
    we always do toys for tots or angel tree or something though
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:14 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My DD is a very creative artist & usually makes gifts for people. I do not give her money to buy gifts, i tell her that if she wants to use HER money, she can. But, she has been saving her money forever....she is not about to spend it. But, her gifts come from the heart & i think they are more appreciated by people, than a gift she would have bought.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:40 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• ODD gets to pick out a wooden object fro the Dollar Store, or craft store, and gets to paint and decorate it, then wrap it up. (we have done picture frames, and birdhouses the last 2 years).She gets these for my mom, my grandfather, and DFs parents. She also gets to do Santas workshop at school for us, and her little sister. Maybe my mom since we wake up there Christmas morning, and my 2 nieces. (Depends how my fiances are at that time how many she buys for) The kids in the family (9 of them in the extended family) are doing a secret santa thing this year also so she will get to buy for that. She helps with all the wrapping also!

endurablemist

Answer by endurablemist at 9:44 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• That's a wonderful idea!!!
    I really think it's important to include children in the giving process. It really teaches them valuable lessons and it helps them understand that the Holiday season is about giving more then anything. I really commend your efforts to instill that in your children!

When my son turns three (Next September) I will start including him in buying for his little sister and brother. (His brother and sister will be almost 1 and 2 by then) I really like the idea of them earning the money that they spend on gifts. That also helps teach responsibility and also gives them a feel good feeling about earning something to give.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:45 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Ya we do.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 3:00 PM on Nov. 11, 2010