Christmas stockings??

Is it wrong to just want to fill stockings for Christmas for the kids' cousions at the grandparents house and buy for my kids? We don't even buy for the kids on my side of the family because we don't see them. When my sister brings her daughter over or lets me know that she will be at our parents then I buy for her daughter but if I don't get the chance to see the gift opened I don't buy the gift. Especially when I don't even get a call thank you. So no more gifts that way. But this year is tight so is it bad to just fill a stocking with small things and candy..??

mamagator

Asked by mamagator at 9:01 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Holidays

• Nothing wrong with what you want to do, but really, I never expect a thing when giving gifts, a thank you would be nice but not necessary.

Answer by older at 9:02 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• We have a huge family and don't spend Christmas morning with any of them but our kids and usually my MIL if she stays the night. We buy for our kids, each other his mom and my parents, grandma and brother (who still lives at home with mom and dad) as well as hubby's best friend who is more like a brother to him. Hubby has 17 nieces and nephews and 23 great nieces and nephews (all of his siblings were teens when he was born and they managed to reproduce like rabbits). He is not close to his extended family and there is no way we could afford to buy for that many. We send Christmas cards and that's it.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:07 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• You do what you can afford. Christmas isn't about gifts, so everyone who recieves something should be greatful they did. If stocking stuffers is all you can afford then that's all they're going to get. A lot of bigger families dont' actually buy for everyone. They choose names, or DH's aunt buys all of the adults new hoodies and the kids get the toys. It's a great way to save costs while still making sure everyone has something special.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:35 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• It can be a little difficult, at first, when you have to change what you've been doing -- especially if you are the only one scaling back. But there is nothing wrong with adjusting what you give to fit your budget; and your family should understand that. Just let the adults know that this year your budget is tight, but you still want to provide a little something for the kids.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 12:51 PM on Nov. 11, 2010