Would my seven year old benefit from taking the supplement fish oil?

My seven year old son has adhd and I was reading on WebMD.com that fish oil is good in helping with the symptoms of adhd. Do you think that my son could benefit from this? And if so, how many miligrams?

NubianQueen78

Asked by NubianQueen78 at 9:05 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would not offer him an adult supplement without consulting a physician. He's really young. Fish oil is really concentrated.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:06 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• YES, YES, YES! Our brain needs fats to function & omega 3 (fish oil) is the MOST effecient fat for the brain to use. It's like using super, ultra premium gas for your car vs...the crappy stuff that will diry up your engine quicker.

My DD might have ADD. She is not hyper at all, but her attention & focus is just no there. She is vegetarian, so i know she does not get much omega 3's. so, i started giving her fish oil (even though it's not vegetarian) and it has really helped! It's so good for so much more too, bone growth, your immune system, it's good for your skin & hair..the list goes on & on. One can ONLY benefit from taking fish oil.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:09 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Well, music mom....if it was not good for kids to take, then they would not have created omega gummy supplement for kids. They taste great. Her Dr. was the one who reccomended she take fish oil supplements. She said she can even swallow an adult capsul, if she is willing to do it. For now, we're sticking to the gummies.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:11 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Wow, you need to read a post better before you shoot someone else down. She said she got the info off of a website. So get off your high and mighty horse. It's foolish to tell someone it's okay to give their child an adult supplement, she wasn't asking about childrens gummies. Get a grip.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:24 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Talk to his doctor, not to us. Although some of us may be medically trained we don't know your child. We don't know what would benefit him. Even those who have ADHD Diagnosed children can't help you, because their child isn't your child. So please, talk to his doctor.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:31 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• To all of you that have left your suggestions: Thank you very much! I really appreciate your comments and input.

NubianQueen78

Comment by NubianQueen78 (original poster) at 9:50 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I would like to know too, how much would you give????
    Actress-mom81

Answer by Actress-mom81 at 9:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I have seen children's fish oil supplements at Whole Foods, I don't think it would hurt.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:18 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My DS takes Little Critters Omega 3 gummies. He takes two a day. They don't smell good but he loves them. DD used to hate them because they tasted bad but she likes them now. DS behavior and learning changed for the better after he started taking them, He was struggling before.

Shaylyn318

Answer by Shaylyn318 at 10:22 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• I use a supplement called Attention by Liquid Health. It's an all natural supplement. My son (7) was diagnosed as borderline ADD/ADHD when he was 6 & I was addament about not putting him on the prescribed drugs after having one of my oler sons on Ritalin, Adderall & Concerta when he was little. It has done wonders for my son & his teacher has seen a HUGE improvement with his behavior & his classwork. He still has days when he doesn't want to do the class work but he went from being on red all the time to being on green most of the time.
    Here is the site: nextstepnutrition.com click on attention & read what it says & decide for yourself.
    Bunnee

Answer by Bunnee at 3:04 PM on Nov. 12, 2010