• In the Spotlight:

Started a in-home day care

I am just starting my in home day care, im not licensed yet! But im not at the limit for an unlicenced day care..
I do have a contract.. nothing to scary.. rules, late fees.. pre-pay... nap time... no home made goodies.. time out... medicine.. allergies.. stuff like that.
Its not really for me.. its more.. so they know whats going on while their children are here.
Also it has "who can pick up my kids" who cant.. yano the basics
What would you think if you went to an in home day care and had to sign a contract.. ???
Also im meeting with my first clients tonight.. and im kind of nerves, because i could REALLY use the money id be bringing in..
Anyone have any tips?...
THANKS!

mommyofAurora

Asked by mommyofAurora at 8:14 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Money & Work

• contracts are a very common thing....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:21 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I wish I had a copy of our rules from our home day care...it gave both "this is what we will do" (meals, snacks, hours, documentation) and "this is what you will do" (payment, keeping sick kids home) type of information and included a copy of the daycare rules, emergency policies, and licensing information. We kept the payment portion open to fill in on a case-by-case basis because we were flexible about being paid when the parent was paid either weekly or bi-weekly and had to change it a little for state pay kids, but it was clear about what would happen if payments were missed. Best of luck to you!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:54 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Liscense or no, it sounds like you know what you are doing. If I took my child to a day care and they made me sign things, I would just think it was very professional. Sounds like you know your stuff! Good luck to you!
    knightmoves

Answer by knightmoves at 3:31 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Awhile back I found this site to be informational- For state by state daycare regulations http://nrc.uchsc.edu/STATES/states.htm  (just cut & paste). Good luck, don't be nervous, the parents most likely will be just as nervous placing their children in someone else's care. License or not, be sure not to take on more then you can handle.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I used to be a nanny. I can't imagine not signing something. It's to protect both parties. Be sure to include everything!! Nothing is too small to prevent future disputes. Be sure to add your policy on holidays, sick days and vacation plans. Clearly define sick procedures. What is too sick. If you have your own child, define when and what would happen. Including if your child needs to go to the doctor. (I have heard from so many friends, angry once they found out their child went here without knowing first) Cleary define procedure for notfying special activities. What about travel? Will you need a carseat provided? Im just thinking of emergencies and if you would like any field trips to the park or library. Good luck.

Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 10:40 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• There's an awesome group on cafemom called Home Daycare Providers.....you should join us! TONS and TONS of helpful info!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:38 PM on Nov. 3, 2008