A Cold or Teething

My almost 10mth old DD for the last three nights has gotten so congested in the nose that she cant breath. it's lose so i was able to use a bulb syringe last night and that helped some. Her nose is runny during the day but at night its ridiculouse. Does she have a cold coming on or possible teeth? She just had an ear infection about 4wks ago was on amoxicilin but had to quit b/c of allergic reaction. I'm concerned that an infection might be stiring again or can it be teeth coming in

blrusso

Asked by blrusso at 9:34 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 3 month old just got over a cold. It sounded a lot like what you are describing. He would get really stopped up at night and be ok during the day. He also had a lot of "sleep" on his eyelashes. I didnt get him on antibiotics because he is too young. So we got a humidifier and kept it going all day and night. It took almost 2 weeks to go away, but it did. I was also worried about an infection because his snot was green towards the end. But he was fine. Hope this helps you.
    kpryor1982

Answer by kpryor1982 at 9:40 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I am not a dr but my son has had ear infections before and has needed an antibiotic to clear it up. when my son was teething he had a runny nose(clear). because of his congestion my dr suggested a humidifier (?). I think so long as he does not have a fever or if he is not tugging at his ears, it's probably just teething. again...I am a first time mom and not a dr so get advice from others as well! hope he feels better!
    lisaac72

Answer by lisaac72 at 9:41 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• yeah definitely get a cool mist humidifier, that may help break up the congestion. my son had the congestion but it turned into bronchitis for almost 2 weeks. teething symptoms are a lot like a cold - runny nose, whiny, etc. feel around on the gums to see if you feel or see anything trying to come thru. is she getting a fever? you could always give some children's tylenol (well, generic since it was recalled) to help her sleep a little bit easier. and keep suctioning out her nose - you can even make a salt water solution (i had to do that to mine), take 8 ozs of water and a teaspoon or two of salt and mix it all up, put it in a syringe and squirt it in her nose. she's gonna hate it but it will help clear her out.
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 9:43 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Thnx everyone for the input. She has her two bottom teeth but i dont feel anything up top yet. From your responses i think we're in for another cold. I do have a vicks warm mist humidifier, guess i need to get that back out again. :-) Thank you for all your suggestions.
    blrusso

Comment by blrusso (original poster) at 10:21 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I'd say a cold. Use a humidifier or sit in the bathroom with her while a hot shower is running. That's really all you can do, unfortunately. :/
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 11:18 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My 9 month old is going through that right now. I think hers is a cold as well. In addition to the humidifier, you can get some Vicks Baby Rub and put it on her chest and feet (with footed PJs) at night, and that really helps.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 11:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• It seems more likely that it's a cold. My LO's noses got congested a little, but nothing like you're describing when they were teething.
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 12:32 AM on Nov. 13, 2010