How many ounces of breastmilk should my 3 month old be consuming?

kpryor1982

Asked by kpryor1982 at 9:37 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It depends on the child.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 9:49 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Well, if you're breastfeeding it's pretty hard to count ounces so count diapers instead. She should be having about 6 wet diapers a day and may or may not poop everyday, but when it comes time to do #2, it should be easy for the baby and be soft and yellowish. That's normal.
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 11:17 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• It depends on your baby and on your breast milk for a creamier thicker breastmilk you aren't going to need as much as you would for a thinner breast milk. I recently had to get some dental work done so I had to give my DS bottles one evening I was only out of commision for six hours so I pumped two eight ounce bottles (which took me longer then two weeks) for my husband to feed our baby while I was hopped up on happy drugs. Needless to say he ended up eating only three ounces at one feeding and four at the next he was almost six months I thought he was going to starve to death but i guess that they just don't need as much breast milk as you'd think some times.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 12:03 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• If you are bottle feeding, my DD was taking about 4 oz BUT when she nursed, she only got around half of that.

The reason...it's easier to suck milk out of a bottle and takes more work to get it from the source. As long as they are having 6-10 wet diapers a day, they are getting enough.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:08 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Oh and one other thing...when they take from a bottle, they get so much so quickly that their bodies don't trip the "I am full" button before they are full so they overeat. This can cause excess spitting up or discomfort.
    This doesn't happen when nursing directly from the breast since it's a slower process.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• 24-30 ounces daily is the need, no matter what the age. It doesn't change. That's if you're pumping exclusively. Breastmilk changes as baby gets older to better meet the needs.

If you're nursing at the breast, look for six dipe changes per day. Content matters not, CHANGES do.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:58 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• breast fed babies should not have their feedings regulated they should be on demand.... if there is a situation where you are working and pumping to bottle feed there should be enough in the bottle to leave an ounce of left over when the baby is full
    use wet diapers and weight gain to measure your success
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:47 PM on Nov. 11, 2010