What do you dress your baby in?

My DD is 4 months old, she wears all hand me downs. Since I have a ton I do not buy her new clothes. (she will get a Thanksgiving outfit and a Christmas outfit new) Anyway She only has about 2-3 "outfits" Sepereate pants and onsies.. She wears mostly Sleepers. It is cold here and they keep her warm, and are easier to change her. But a few ppl from work have commented that I dont dress her up enough, or have enough outfits for her. Do you think its wrong that I put a sleeper on her and take her shopping, or where ever? They are not stained, actually they are in really good shape, I just dont understand why ppl think she needs to "dress-up" more. What do your babies wear out and about?

endurablemist

Asked by endurablemist at 9:37 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Most of these people here are wrong about sleepers- They are now called "Sleep and Plays".
    I feel the same way as you. I buy used clothing for my baby and the only thing I bought new so far has been the outfit I brought him home from the hospital in and a christmas outfit for his first christmas. My baby was born in April of this year. I had in in sleepers until about 2 months, then it was summer and I had him in 1 piece rompers because it was too warm for sleepers. if my son would have been born this winter then he would only be in sleepers. He is 7 months now and I put him in 1 piece long sleeve jumpers. I dont put him in outfits, I dont think they are as comfortable. This winter when it gets colder he will probably be in sleepers alot more. Dont listen to rude comments, maybe we are the only smart ones not waisting money on baby clothes.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 2:56 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I think they are more comfortable in sleepers :) It is all about personal preference, I only dressed my kids up when we were going out to someones house or an event or someone that we didnt see regularly was visiting. I didnt dress them up just to go shopping though. When people make comments just ignore them.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:47 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I think it's fine. Why spend lots of money on clothes that they outgrow so fast and clothes that get spit-up on? I just have onesies and pants for my son. I have a few nice outfits for church. I used to dress him in sleepers when he was younger. No biggy.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:45 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• my newborn was the onsie queen. but now that she is 4 almost 5 months, i do try to get in the habit of dressing her in pants/shirt or a dress everyday and save the sleeper for night. you sholdn't let people's lame comments influence how you dress your baby though. dress her how you feel omfortable.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 9:46 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Staying home or going out places I always dressed my boys in clothes. Since it gets cold here in WI I would dress them in layers-- put a onsie on and then put on mix and match sweats or one of their outfits. If you buy plain bottoms and colorful tops/sweatshirts you can mix it up and make many outfits out of it.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:52 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My daughter is 4 months old and she wears sleepers a lot of the time. I do tend to keep her "dressier" sleepers for daytime and the plainer ones for at night, but she's so skinny there aren't separates that are small enough in the waist for her to keep them up!

Answer by missanc at 9:52 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• a comfortable baby is a happy baby don't let stupid pp comment bother you, if their clean and happy who cares what they wear. I see grown people in pj shopping and they dress theirself.
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 9:52 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My little one wore hand me downs and we also lived in a really cold state. Like missanc I also put her in dressier sleepers or onsies with little leggings that matched. She was in dresses very rarely...don't let what others say bother you though. Oh, one hint in colder climates I did go out and buy the sleeper sack for her. They are like footed jammies but the bottom is like a little sack. Then I would put her in a thin jammy set under it. That way I was not up every 30min making sure she still had blankets on to keep warm.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Halo-SleepSack-Wearable-Fleece-Blanket-Blue/9919885
    fluffymomma175

Answer by fluffymomma175 at 10:11 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• since we're always at home, my dd usually wears a tshirt and sweats or shorts depending on the weather, my ds wears a tshirt and diaper, sometimes sweat pants depending on the weather
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:17 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Personally, I don't like sleepers as day clothes. They are called "sleepers" and they're for sleeping. My son (just turned 1), wears sleepers to bed, but he gets dressed in the morning just like the rest of us. But in the end, it's your decision. You're the mom - not them. So don't let those other people's comments change your mind about how you handle your child.
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 11:13 AM on Nov. 11, 2010