how do you if your breast can produce milk or not

mochareke

Asked by mochareke at 9:41 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I'v nursed three and never had a problem. It takes some practice and there are some things that are life savers. If you ever need some advice feel free to ask.
    andie6

Answer by andie6 at 9:47 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• How do you know if you can produce breastmilk? You don't until the milk comes in. It either does or it doesn't.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 9:48 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• It is EXTREMELY rare for women to not produce milk. All you can do is nurse, nurse, nurse once Baby arrives.
    My cousin has a rare hormone condition that has kept her from being able to EBF her babies, so she's had to supplement with formula, but at least her babies have gotten some mommy milk.
    I'm sure you'll be just fine, just trust in your body.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:29 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Less than 1% of women do not have enough milk to feed their babies. Low milk supply or non existant milk supply is extremely rare. Most women who think they have low milk supply in reality have correctable issues.

You will know you are producing enough because your baby will have enough wet and poopy diapers and will be gaining weight.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 5:10 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Some say less than 1% don't have enough milk, others say it's 2-5%. I think those numbers are old. They need to update it because it's actually a lot higher than that now.

I thought I was a horrible mother because I didn't produce enough. She didn't have wet diapers very often and eventually it was an orangeish pinkish powdery substance instead of urine. Turns out I really was a bad mom because I was starving her by thinking that I could not supplement with formula and just kept nursing and nursing since 'not very many women actually can't produce enough'. If you are not producing enough, don't let people on the internet tell you that you shouldn't feed your baby!!
    Anonymous