What would you do if your daughter was being bullied and the school were ignoring it?

My daughter's 8 and she's quite quiet. For the last 6 months a girl in her class has been throwing food on her, shouting at her and just generally bullying her. Taking her stuff etc. I've been to the school about it multiple times - literally about 30 times. They always say 'you know how kids are...'. I personally don't think this is good enough, I've got to the point where I'm keeping her off most of the time, as we suffered major bereavements and the girls even picked on her for those and they also locked her in their sports cabin once. What other things can I do? Would you take all of your children out of that school? There aren't any others near us really, so I think the only other option is home-schooling. Please help, I'm at my wit's end and here... What can we do??

leah_rai

Asked by leah_rai at 9:46 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Go higher up. Most schools have anti-bullying policies, check yours. Then go the the superintendent and school board.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 9:47 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• if principal isn't taking it serious I would go to board of Education, this is serious and needs to be addressed
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 9:48 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Go into that principals office and instead of asking them do stop it, tell them they WILL stop it or they will have a lawsuit on their hands! They are required BY LAW to attend to the safety of your child. If this has been going on that long, they are FAILING. I would also try to find out who else you can go to to talk about whats happening (the board of education, etc) to go above the head of the STUPID principal and get it taken care of.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 9:49 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Go to the superintendant or the board of education. Complain, complain, complain! Schools can sometimes turn a blind eye pretending that everything is fine. Don't let them do this! Make a HUGE issue out of it!

Tell them they have dome nothing for your child & that it has only gotten worse. I so to the superintendant like witch on a broom stick if i were you....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:50 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I would raise hell all the way to the top of administrators.

Answer by older at 9:51 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• i would also find out who this little girl is and have a nice long chat with her parents, they might not be aware of how she is acting.
    but yes, if the school is being that uncaring, i would def home school my kids, after i had seriouse bitch fest with the principal, threaten to report her, i mean seriousely, what else is being overlooked.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 9:51 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I would make a such a big fuss until they heard me...LOUD and CLEAR. If the school doesn't want to help, I would go as high as I could until someone would listen. I would also go to the other childs mother and have her talk to her child. Your daughter should not have to take that, and the other child should be taught better than to treat people that way. I know violence is not the answer, but my nephew has bone cancer, and he had to have a portion of his bone removed from his leg, and cadaver bone put in, this caused his bad leg to be slightly shorter than his good leg, so he walk with a limp. The kids at school called him "Cancer Kid" and picked on him because of it. After he came home crying multiple times, and my sister went up to the school and got the "you know how kids are" She told him next time to knock the crap outta the kid. Sure enough he did, and she got a call from the school telling her he was in trouble
    Erin_Jus

Answer by Erin_Jus at 9:54 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• You have the right to accompany your child throughout the day under some circumstances. Would it be worth it to take a week out of your time? The responsiblity shouldn't be yours to keep your child safe at school, but until she is safe, something needs to be done...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 9:56 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• for starting a fight. She went up to the school, sat down with the principle, and very nicely pointed out to him that she had been up there, numerous times, becuase he was being picked on, so she took care of the situatioon by telling him to defend himself. She then turned it on the principle and said "But hey, you know how kids are.." They ended up not suspending him, and then after that they had a school wide assembly about how bullying and fighting would not be tolerated. After that, they no longer pick on him. I know it might be a little extreme, but sometimes if no one will listen you have to shock their system to where they will. I hope things get better for her becuase she really shouldn't have to deal with people like that. Hope this helps.
    Erin_Jus

Answer by Erin_Jus at 9:57 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I have been that daughter.. and my parents did SQUAT cause they were too busy with their own lives. My daughter gets picked on but nowhere near as bad as I used to, and you knwo why.. cause the school admin does NOT want me in their office anymore. She's also going to karate classes this coming summer.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 10:03 AM on Nov. 11, 2010