If the deficit commission wants to raise the retirement age to 69..

Can we ask that in return there is a CAP on age in politicians?

Or the holy grail of TERM LIMITS??

Lets negotiate

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:51 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yeah, that is a great idea!!!!

Answer by older at 9:52 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:55 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I don't have a problem with them raising the retirement age - I think it definitely should be done! People are living longer, and they've already said it will be a "gradual" rise in the age so it's not like it will change tomorrow. I think it just makes sense.

Answer by missanc at 10:01 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Whatever.

You work for the DNC.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:04 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I hate how they always go to raising the retirement age. This is how our country treats our elderly? No thanks.

I'm no expert, so I don't have a solution or idea... but I agree with you sweet... let's negotiate. Term limits sounds great (I know, it's already been litigated through the Supreme Court and shot down but we could try again?) and I really like the age cap idea too. I wish I had a viable idea. Sadly, I do not. But raising the retirement age again, that just seems wrong to make our parents and grandparents have to continue working for so long, when many of their bodies are breaking down. I hate to see my mom and MIL having to go out and work just to get by, I look forward to the day when we can help support them. Sadly it is the working poor who get shafted, yet again.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 10:04 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• You don't understand the issue. They are asking people to work LONGER.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:08 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• So you think that regular people should have to work longer, but politicians should have to (or get to - they have amazing pensions) retire sooner? Good deal for the politicians.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 10:10 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• JJB If politics actually involved "work," you might have a point. I think a part time legislature is what is needed- anyone who has been around the block knows they accomplish very little and spend a great deal of time commuting and "out of session." It would stop the lifers too-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:12 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• sister
    I'll agree that I haven't been around the block as many times as you. Everything else, you are overstretching with commenting on my answer.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:13 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Yes! That's a fantastic idea!
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:15 AM on Nov. 11, 2010