Advice on tantrums... PLEASE!!!

My dd just turned 2 on the 6th an is NEVER happy!!! It's been going on well before she turned 2, but its taking a HUGE toll on dh and I!! Yesterday was a HORRIBLE day.. about 95% was tantrums and I mean SCREAMING bloody murder and slamming her head on the wall over and over again! We're scared she could seriously hurt herself and don't know what to do for her!! She's just sooo unhappy, our ds was NEVER like that so this is all new to us!! I seriously need advice!! I'm so scared and sad for my dd!!

newmom28

Asked by newmom28 at 9:59 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• distractions work wonderfully. when she starts to throw a fit or you can see one coming on, say " hey lets go play with......" or "would you like to help me with...." i found that if i can completely take their minds off of what was causing the fit to begin with it usually doesnt happen. but yeah those terrible twos really start at about 1-1 1/2 and continue on until like 4. just hang in there. it will pass.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 10:03 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My son used to do the EXACT same thing!!!! NO kidding!!!! I found out its because of an allergy/intolerance. He has an intolerance to Casein, a binding agent in dairy, soy and processed meats. I would look back and maybe something you introduced into her diet in the last few months (or when you noticed it start) and go from there. We thought he was having the "terrible twos" until I took casein out of his diet, he completely quit with the tantrums and head banging. Good Luck!
    JuneBug1985

Answer by JuneBug1985 at 1:12 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Keep her busy and distracted! If she is wanting to get into things she can't have, remove them from sight. Make sure she is getting enough sleep too, kids act out when over tired. Do NOT give her attention for screaming or head banging. It will run its course.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:17 PM on Nov. 12, 2010