Leapfrog Tag or Hooked on Phonics?

My dd is 6yo and in 1st grade, we practice reading at home but she still has issues sounding out words, more like she can't do it. She is able to read the Level 1 books but has a lot of issues with level 2. I am thinking about buying her one of these systems. Have you ever used one? what was your experience like? what do you recommend?

mami2emily

Asked by mami2emily at 10:17 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• the tag pen will only say a word, it doesn't sound them out
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:17 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I would keep reading level 1 books with her. I personally don't like the electronic gadgets. Too complicated. Just read every single day. Books like "Danny and the Dinosaur" are good at that level.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:30 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Never tried either, but I have heard good things about the leapfrog.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:17 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Hooked on Phonics is a lot of repetition and incredibly boring. Set her down at the computer at www.starfall.com. It's free, easy, and kids seem to like it. Mine sure did.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:29 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Hooked on Phonics is a much better system in my mind...plus they have entered the computer age and come up with games for it. Its quite a lot of fun.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 8:04 PM on Nov. 13, 2010