How much is too much to spend on a wedding?

My friend and I are getting marrried around the same time of year. She is spending three times as much on her wedding as we are. I know her financial standing is similar to ours. Am I being cheap or is she going way over the top?

bellsandheels

Asked by bellsandheels at 10:17 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think you should only spend what you can afford to spend without going into debt. If you have alittle debt from the wedding, say, something that can be paid off in a year then that's ok. But if you are spending so much that you will be paying for the next 5 years I think that is a waste. You and your friend may have the same financial situation but maybe her family or his are chipping in for the bill. Plus, you should be doing what you feel comfortable with and no you are not being cheap. People just have different opinions when it comes to the wedding and how much to spend, no really right or wrong answer.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 10:28 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• imo
    any money spent on wedding that is a loan or not paid up front is too much
    importance is the marriage not the wedding
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:41 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• If it's putting you in debt, it's too much. Ours was way more low key than my husband's sister's. I know it's hard not to make comparison's, but in the end it's just one day. I'd rather not be in debt for five years to spend on one day.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:49 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• to each their own, but I think it is insane to start a marriage deeply in debt for one day. You don't know who is paying for what in her wedding though.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:20 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I think too much varies depending on your priorities. She may be over extending herself and putting herself into debt, or she may just have different priorities. I've never understood spending extravagant amounts on weddings because I'm way too practical for that, but for some people it is very important. She may regret it after the fact when she has to go without some things you may be able to afford, like a newer car or a nicer/bigger home.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:23 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• There's no real answer for that. We did our entire wedding for a few thousand. It wasn't something we intentionally set out to do, it just worked out that way because of choices we made (getting married on a Friday night instead of Saturday, getting the dress I loved, which happened to be a season old and on clearance when I started to track it down). I do wonder at people who spend tens of thousands, when that money could be going towards a house or savings, but if they have the money to throw around and it's that important to them, it's their choice. I think the line, wherever it falls for each individual, should be at putting themselves in debt. There is no reason to go into debt for a big party, with nothing to show for it but the pictures (which have likely added to that debt).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:24 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• It's whatever you are comfortable with. There is no right and wrong.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:25 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I think the answer really varies depending on your salary and how many guests.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I agree with fiatpax. We spent around $20-25k, all paid ahead of time. I don't think anything should be financed.
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 2:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2010