How do I let my DH know his hygiene is pushing me away?

In the past, my husband has been offended when I've mentioned his bad breath. Lately it's pushing me away. I love that he's comfortable around me but I wish he'd try a little to impress me. He works nights and sleeps during the day and it's gotten to the point where I can't nap in my own room w/ my husband b/c the smell of that room makes me want to vomit!! From what I know, he brushes his teeth once every week or 2 weeks. It's disgusting!! How do I tell him I want him to brush his teeth and keep up on it without offending him??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• truth hurts. You not telling him is hurting your relationship more than anything. I would bitch about it every day & ask him EVERY day if he brushed his teth. I would MAKE him brish his teeth too...

Tell him "I can't sleep in the bedrom because your breath smells so bad!" If he gets hurt or pissy say "Brisu your teeth & we'd have no problem here"

It's not your fault his breat smells like ASS. Let your inner bitch shine & put your foot down...that is just nasty!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:01 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Just tell him. Offend him if you must. But eww, that's really gross!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:31 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• i dnt see how he could get offended when he is the one who brushes every 2-3 weeks, that would push me away too.now if he is trying & still has bad breath then id give him a break but he just sounds plain dirty.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 10:33 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• he is your husband i would be up front... but add some tears tell him you want to be able to get close to him but it's hard for you to do that if he doesn't take care of himself..
    Patience909

Answer by Patience909 at 10:36 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Just tell him.. Tell him you love him and want to be able to kiss him and be near him but his breath is horrible and it is making you not want to be near him. If his breath smells so bad maybe he has an infection and needs to see the Dr. This happened with a family member and it worked. I thought the same way as you. Also drinking more water and eating more fruits and veggies helps. These are easy things to fix in a family.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:42 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Eww I would just tell him. How can you ever kiss him. Tell him you take care of yourself and want him to be pleased and you think you deserve the same respect. He needs to brush atleast twice a day. Ask him when he gets up if he has brushed his teeth. Your dental bill will be outrageous plush poor dental hygene can lead to heart problems and such. Tell him you miss cuddling and kissing and he needs to brush often and good!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:56 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• sorry for my typo's, i should hit spell check..lol
    samurai_chica

• Just tell him to go brush. What's the big deal. Just remind him to go brush when he gets up or gets home. My husband stank the other day and I yelled at him that he stank and shoved him into the shower. It was funny and he didn't care. He even brought the dog in with him and washed him too.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:12 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Just tell him- best part of being married sometimes is being totally honest. It might startle him enough to do something about it.
    joisie1978

Answer by joisie1978 at 11:15 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Just tell him...every day if you have to! Be honest and sincere. Be kind but forceful.
    fluffymomma175

Answer by fluffymomma175 at 11:46 AM on Nov. 11, 2010