My Hubby has been smoking since he was about 15. He smokes outside,

but always take part of the filter off before smoking. GPC's is the brand. I've noticed he always coughs after the first hit. He tells me that's because part of the filter gets in his throat when he inhales. Is that true? I don't think so.......i think he has smoked so long, it's getting to his lungs. They must be as black as my keyboard! I've told him i would like to see him around for when the kids graduate High School! Even his doctor told him he should quit, but nooooooooooooo. I'm sure it's very hard to quit but i just he would try a little harder! He is'nt on any oxygen or anything like that-yet. Question is.......is coughing a sign of him getting worse?????

4theloveofTink

Asked by 4theloveofTink at 10:29 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Health

• him taking the filter off is making a bad product even worse for him
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:31 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• coughing is usually always a sign of distressed lungs. but in order for him to quit hes going to have to really want to, otherwise it will never work.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 10:32 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• he told me taking off part of the filter is better for him. he does'nt inhale much nicotine!
    4theloveofTink

Comment by 4theloveofTink (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• The filter isn't there to filter the nicotine. The filter is there to help protect his lung against all the other crap they put in there like tar and glass. Him taking the filter off is DANGEROUS. He is not coughing for that, he is coughing from inhaling glass shards. He needs to quit taking the filter off to begin with and then he needs to quit period! Forget about his health for a second and think. Second hand smoke is more deadly than the smoke to begin with! Because he smokes, he is harming YOU and your CHILDREN. Whether he smokes outside or not, unless he's wearing a hazmat suit when he does, he's still bringing it inside the house.
    Yes, quitting is hard, but it can be done! I haven't had one in 3 years now :D And I quit for my children.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:37 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• The filter makes it so you dont inhale as much nicotine he takes it off so the cigarettes are stronger. I smoked for a long time quit once went back now quit again cold turkey hard but had to be done. Anyways my husband said i had smokers hack which i never noticed i coughed more and more each day and constantly felt like something was in my chest and throat. I have been coughing up black (tar is what they call it my lungs cleaning themselves out) for four months now.. And only a non smoker knows how nasty it smells and the truth is as she said above doesnt matter if you smoke inside or out the smoke and the toxins are still all over him. Quitting is hard but it needs to be done. especially to ensure him being around longer and your childrens health. since i quit i am way healthier ive noticed and my daughter is too. try to show him examples. Pull the If you love me and the kids card..
    lovinmybaby87

Answer by lovinmybaby87 at 11:31 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Yeah, smokers cough.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 4:54 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• The filter on a cigarette is designed to cool the smoke before it goes into the lungs. It doesn't do anything else. Some smokers prefer a stronger drag, so they smoke non-filters, or reds (which have a very short filter). He isn't getting andy more or less nicotine by altering the filter.

The coughing? Yes, that is a sign he is getting worse. Coughing is the body's way of trying to get the crap back out of the lungs. After you smoke a cigarette, the lungs start to recover by clearing away the tar that builds up in the lungs (and makes them black). They can get a fair amount of progress done over night, so the first cig in the morning can be particularly brutal on the 'fresh lungs'. Over the course of that cig and the rest that day, the lungs get coated and often smokers feel like they aren't even getting a good drag.
    The coughing is a sign he may be getting closer to emphasyma.

Look up Alan Carr for more info!
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 8:28 AM on Nov. 12, 2010