Anyone else here?

Any of you ladies have a teenage daugther who is pregnant? How are you handling it? When my daughter told me I was shocked and disappointed. I'm still a little disappointed in her but I've gotten more supportive. I'm still disappointed but my daughter has grown up a lot and she understands what she has to do when the baby is born. She's due on February 10,2011.

mommaedwards61

Asked by mommaedwards61 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• group hug

No idea, but good luck to you and your family. 

ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:42 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• i dont have a pregnant teenage daughter but you'll be okay! my grandma had my mom when she was 17, my mom had me at 25, and i had my son at 21. my best friend had her son at 17. and we are all fine and happy! of course you can be disapointed that didnt get to finish her childhood, but im sure she will be okay with your help and support and think of this now as a blessing! your going to be a grandmother and your going to love it! GL :)
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:43 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Thank you ladies. I'm just upset she isn't going to get to have nearly as much fun during her senior year as the rest of her friends are.
    mommaedwards61

Comment by mommaedwards61 (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Yes, that's true. But she's taking responsibility for her actions. Every action has consequences, and less fun her senior year is the consequence of having sex.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:49 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• All of your feelings are understandable. But it seems that you and her are headed in the right direction. It is to bad that she will not have the high school experience that you wanted for her but she has made choices and this is where it is at. I think that the best thing to do is not focus on all that she will miss because of this but encourage her that it doesn't have to "ruin" her life. She is going to grow up fast that you had wanted but you need to be there for her help her beome a good parent and that life can continue on and she can still have a happy life.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I was 18 when I got preg. Is she counting on the baby's father? If she is, encourage her to have a back up plan in case he bails (he prob will).don't let her know you think he will but tell her she needs to plan for everything that is not in her control.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 11:42 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• She isn't depending on the baby's dad at all. They broke up a few months after she found out she was pregnant. They didn't break up because she was pregnant but because he was cheating on her.
    mommaedwards61

Comment by mommaedwards61 (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Even if she isn't going to depend on the dad being around or part of the baby's life, she needs to take him to court and get the custody set up, support and if there will be any visitation. Do this immediately, if you wait it just gets dragged out and causes problems. The dad may not be a part of the baby's life but he needs to pay child support. Even if he doesn't make much now it is 18 years of raising that child and he should be paying his support.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 12:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I never even thought of that! Thanks for reminding me!
    mommaedwards61

Comment by mommaedwards61 (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Nov. 11, 2010