How do I stop my 12 month old's diarrhea?

My son has been sick, and for the last couple days he's had really runny diarrhea! Every time he eats or drinks something within 20 minutes he has a messy diaper. Yesterday he pooped like 10 times, and now has a really bad rash! Anyone have any advice? I am getting him some Pedialyte today, but I don't know how to stop his diarrhea. Thank you ;)

lilcutiepie2578

Asked by lilcutiepie2578 at 10:46 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't. Whatever is causing him the stomach troubles, you want to get it out of his system. Diarrhea is doing that.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:47 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• i am assuming this child is drinking cows milk??
    if so, switch to ALMOND MILK for a few days
    may help

feel better little one
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:48 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Just keep pushing the fluids. It will go away soon.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:48 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• You can give him mild food, but he has to get rid of it. Smother him with Balmex, really slather it on. You can try the BRAT diet - bananas, rice, apples and toast. People say it doesn't work though, but it can't hurt!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:49 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• boild ris and give ur bb that ''water ris'' in baby bottle
    ;) it works everytime
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 10:51 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I have done the brat method.. not working, and everytime he has a diaper change I put nystatin on him. he has very sensitive skin. Yes he does drink whole milk. But even with water he is still having messes.
    lilcutiepie2578

Comment by lilcutiepie2578 (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• the tricky thing with it is that whatever was causing it could already be out of his system, but also along with all the good bacteria that he needs for his digestion. give him acidophilus milk and yogurt, they are both high in the good bacteria. i was told to do this by my dr. and its worked every time, especially when they have it after they take an antibiotic.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 10:53 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• milk can be hard on tummy
    try the almond milk for a few days
    also bananas good food for the runns
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:54 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Stop giving any kind of milk. Give him pedialyte and continue for 24 hours after the diarrhea has stopped. A day or two without milk isn't going to harm them. And continue with the brat diet. My youngest hates pedialyte, so I gave him gatorade mixed with water when he had diar a couple months ago, he was 11 months then. And I used the orange kind.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:58 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Yogurt! Why doesn't anyone know about yogurt. Any kind that has live and active cultures.Feed him 6-12 oz a day for a few days and it will go back to normal. I have to do this everytime my son is on antibiotics.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 11, 2010