Why does my daughter have trouble breathing when she goes to sleep?

My 19 month old daughter just recently started to have breathing troubles through her nose. She is not sick?? But whenever she falls asleep she starts breathing loudly because she is not getting enough air through the nose. It even wakes her a few times at night. I plan on taking her in but has anyone had this problem, and what was the outcome?

MarahMama

Asked by MarahMama at 10:54 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My daughter started this at 18 months. From there it advanced into breathing through her mouth because she wasn't getting enough air through her nose...then the snoring started...then the waking up every 5 minutes. This was over the course of 4-5 months. I took her to an ENT (ear/nose/throat) doctor and her tonsils and adenoids were so large they were blocking her airflow when she would lay down...both nose airflow and mouth airflow. they scheduled her for surgery and at 2 she went in for the tonsiloadenoidectomy. Was the absolute BEST thing I could have done for her. She no longer snores, she no longer has the apnea at night, she sleep soundly and she doesn't get sick half as often as she used to. I'd go see an ENT first *nod*
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:57 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I would take her to a doctor. That could be a signn of so many different things, sleep apnea, allergies, RASD, asthma, deviated septum, etc.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:19 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• have you looked at her chest when she breathes during her sleep? you want to make sure she's not retracting, when there is space between the ribs and chest when she takes a breath in. retracting can also be in the form of nasal flares, and deep "pulling" in the neck area when she breathes in, the area that you can feel the pulse. if you ever see these things happening, take her to the ER. my 22 month old was struggling to breathe a couple of weeks ago, i took her in and she was diagnosed with restrictive airway disease (basically what they call it when they don't want to call it asthma). anyways, im not trying to scare you, it could be nothing, maybe the start of getting sick or something. any trouble with breathing should be addressed though, im glad you're taking her in, keep us updated and hope she feels better!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:01 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Id take her to the Dr
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 5:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I would get to a dr, like mainemusicmaker says, it could be something that can be fixed.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:28 PM on Nov. 13, 2010

• use a humidifier it may be that mucous and snot are clogging her nasal passage and moisture will help loosen it
    Amanda_82

Answer by Amanda_82 at 11:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2010