traveling...young kids?

My husband and I are taking a 7 hour road trip with a 8 month old and a two year old (which actually will be more like 10-11 hour road trip). Any suggestions for keeping our sanity and helping the kids to be happy?

2kidsandtired

Asked by 2kidsandtired at 11:00 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• pack snacks, drinks, and a bin with some toys. i drove from washington state to oklahoma within 2 1/2 days with my little ones. we stoped at places too that had playgrounds and let them play while we ate, then fed them once we got back in the car.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 11:04 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• While riding in car or truck sing songs that they love, Please have a DVD player so they can watch movies, Play there favorite music in the CD Player
    MrsOkpataku

Answer by MrsOkpataku at 11:09 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• when I went on long trips I would leave around their bedtime, and I have 3 kids, 5,3, and 1. They usually would fall asleep in the car. Or if it were during the day, I would go around nap time because then they would sleep for a couple hours, I stopped frequently so they could go to the bathroom and get out and stretch, I let them bring their favorite toys to play with. But in my opinion, they are guaranteed to get fussy somewhere along the way. I also sat in the backseat with them for awhile, it seemed to calm them down.
    lilcutiepie2578

Answer by lilcutiepie2578 at 11:24 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Songs, snacks, dvd player, toys, coloring book for the older kiddo, favorite books to read and blankies/travel pillow.
    joisie1978

Answer by joisie1978 at 11:24 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• We drove from NY to FL and back. I bought a few new stimulating toys which was the best thing, got some new books at the library, DVDs, and lots of snacks. I had to sit back there with them part of the time to sing, read to them, and be silly with them. Try to leave when it's nap time for the baby then you can stop when he wakes up and let them play for a bit before hitting the road again.
    lish2127

Answer by lish2127 at 11:34 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I have flown with my daughter on flights as short as 3hours and as long as 18. We have also driven from WA (near Canada) to LA (Baton Rouge) several times.
    I installed a DVD player into our SUV. I bring lots of "new" toys. If its not in the budget to go buy new ones then a trick I learned was to remove a couple toys about a week or two ahead of time adn put them in a closet. When you pull them out they will be "new" again...and free! I also plan to travel at night. We head out around bed time and she sleeps well. Bring lots of yummy snacks and make room for yourself to sit back with them if need be.
    Have fun and good luck...
    fluffymomma175

Answer by fluffymomma175 at 12:15 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• We drove on a lot of long trips when our kids were babies.  I even did the 350 mile trip from my in-laws' home alone with 3 kids (3, almost 2 and 8 months).  If you're lucky they will sleep most of the way.  My kids always did.  We also stopped every few hours for potty breaks or to feed the baby.  And we stopped about half way through at a sit down resturaunt to eat or we'd go to Wal-mart and walk around for an hour to stretch.

Over the summer we drove cross country from Chicago to Washington State with 5 kids (10, 8, 7, 4 and 4 weeks at the time).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:08 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Bring plenty of stuff to keep them entertained. When we go on trips, we bring a lot of snacks, drinks, gaming systems, dvd's, each kid gets to bring one toy that isn't already in the car (otherwise our car would be packed with just toys..), and my 4 and 6 year olds love to play with my iPod. That way they can listen to music, watch movies, tv shows, and play games. They love that.
    KileighR

Answer by KileighR at 9:49 PM on Nov. 11, 2010