help! sick baby

my daughter caught a cold thats goin around n got sick nearly ovr night. her dad is bringin medicine but is there anything i can do in the mean time? i gave her the last of her meds 2 hours ago n i have a humidifier on w/ vicks in it. her dr appt is tomorrow morning. shes pretty stopped up in her nose n isuction it out about every hour or more if she needs it. any1 have any advice?

izzis_mommi

Asked by izzis_mommi at 11:03 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What medicine are you giving her?
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:05 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• be careful with the vicks, it can open up her lungs too much and cause even more problems. vicks isnt really recomended for young children. instead i would sit in the bathroom with the door closed and the hot water running for steam.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 11:07 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I agree with wondering what medicine you are giving her.

Also try Little Noses saline solution.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 11:08 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• they actually say the humidifer makes the cold worse due to the fact that it puts steam in the air which them moistend the dust and then you breath it in and that leaves you with wet dust in your lungs which makes the whole cold last longer and get worse i used to use it as well but after i heard this i stopped and my daughters colds didnt seem as bad since. other than that you can boil water and put a glob of vicks in it and it will cause the whole house to smell like vicks. Another one is steamy shower if the breathing is getting really bad put the shower on as hot as it will go leave it on for a while keeping the door shut then take baby in there for a while shutting the door and putting towelsunderneath it you can also run the humidifer with vicks in there i just wouldnt leave it on all day. But again just suggestions that have worked for me and my family and friends. Make sure you are really pushing the liquids water
    lovinmybaby87

Answer by lovinmybaby87 at 11:10 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• First how old is your lil one? the little noses saline spray works great they baby will cry but trust me it will work. also bathroom door shut with the shower on hot and then just sit on the toilet an let baby breath in the steam. if you are uses vicks the actually make one for baby safe for 3 months and up what I always did in put in on the bottom of there feet and then put socks on so the don't risk getting in there eyes. in the the humidafier if it seem to hurt your eyes it is doing the same to thiers. and can you put a pillow under oneside on the babies mattress {yes the actuall mattress} so stuff doesn't just sit in her nose and lungs it drains. or let the baby sleep in the swing if you dont want to do the pillow thing
    Mom3Elizabeth

Answer by Mom3Elizabeth at 11:19 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• What medicine are you giving her? As far as I know, there's not really any meds out there that will help a cold and ok for a baby age 0-12 months (the group we're in). I'd call the doctor before you give any meds just to be sure.
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 11:20 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• NO MEDS - call your doctor if you don't know what to do - but whatever you've been giving her, and whatever your DH is picking up - NO NO NO NO NO, do NOT give it to her - call the doctor!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Meds could just mean Tylenol (which in my opinion is fine), which is why I asked which ones.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:35 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I just read about home remedies in a baby book. The next one i'm going to try is this. Get a big onion and cut it in have, take slice off and put it in the child's socks. leave them there during a nap or overnight. Also place the remaining onion halves in her room over night. Apparently onions have a way of absorbing the illness. I might be crazy, but why not give it a try.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 11:56 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I learned that suctioning out the nose too often can actually make it worse. Her nose could get swollen and inflamed, making her more 'stuffed up.' I typically only suctioned my kids if they were struggling to fall asleep or trying to nurse.

Let her body fight this off. Is she running a high fever? If she doesn't have a high fever and hasn't had it for a couple of days, I would relax a little bit. Keep her comfortable and let it run its course. My babies would often sleep in the car seat when they were very congested. A more upright position made it easier to breathe and helped them have productive coughs so it wouldn't settle in their lungs.

Hope she feels better soon.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:57 AM on Nov. 11, 2010