Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Renting question

Our water bill has been about 34 dollars a month since we moved in this summer. Our landlord has known since we moved in that the tub needs to be fixed, but around the middle to end of Sept. it started dripping from the faucet/not turning off all the way. We told him about it and he's been out to look, but hasn't really DONE anything yet - he said a week or two ago he was coming back and still hasn't. We just got a water bill for 92 dollars because it keeps dripping, and we really can't afford that. Can we ask him to take it out of the rent - is he supposed to, if he knows about the leak? If he doesn't we'll have to take money out of what we have put up for oil, and I'm really scared there's not enough as it is....


Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • Fix it yourself and take the amount needed out of your rent.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

  • I guess I don't care if you can't afford it. That's triple the regular amount all due to his laziness! I say take it off your rent. Enclose a copy of your bill (keep the original) but be sure to black out acct #'s etc, and a statement (keep the original, send a copy) telling him "since you have not returned to fix this problem, it is costing us triple the normal bill amount, therefor we will be taking the additional charges off our rent until this problem is rectified". That will probably get him off his dead ass to get out there to fix it. It's funny how money can be a pretty strong motivator.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

  • Not sure, My renters don't have to pay their water, we do. I would send him a copy of the bill, and knock $60 off your rent. Also, if anything like that happens i will send a plumber asap. There have been instances where my tenants have paid the bill and take it out of the next month's rent. Maybe ask him if you can just call a plumber.

    Answer by sunshine58103 at 11:49 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

  • call the fair housing office in your city/county and ask them

    Answer by cara124 at 11:24 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

  • So tell him he needs to come fix it if he wants you to be able to afford the rent. Everything depends on the contract you signed. Most landlords will have it in the contract if the renter has to pay for certain repairs We had a stipulation of us having to pay up to $100 if it was more he would pay.

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:24 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

  • He's been asked to fix it - DH is calling him tomorrow (he works nights and is sleeping, and I don't want to wake him up and have him bug the guy on Veteran's Day). We haven't signed a lease, he never got around to getting it to us. He's told us, though, that he's responsible for all repairs. He was good about cutting the rent the first month because there were other repairs that had to be done, too.... I mean he's really nice, but it takes forever for him to get anything done, lol.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:28 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

  • No harm in asking. Ask for 1/2 if he won't pay it all. I know it's tough, and yes, he should get it fixed. I'm not sure what state you are in, so I can't search the laws in your area, but try looking at Google, and see if you can find the laws regarding that. Be sure to alert him that your bill has gone up, in writing, even if he won't pay it, and that you have to have the leak fixed. Be sure to state that if it is not fixed within the week, you will fix it and take the cost out of the rent.


    Answer by mrskrisher at 11:29 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

  • @sunshine - Haha, I'm about to - he's in construction or repairs or something himself, so I understand him wanting to do it himself, since he knows how, but we really can't wait for him to find time with the bill being so bad.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:53 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

  • Do not do the repair yourself unless it is authorized by the landlord. Report the problem to the local unit of government that oversees rental housing.

    Answer by tasches at 6:30 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

  • Get a lease now!!! You need it to protect you and your rights! We had a situation without a lease and got screwed!
    As for the water stuff sunshine has the right idea I think!

    Answer by mslksdh at 6:37 PM on Nov. 11, 2010