Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Im a young mom and wana go back to school, anyone know what I need to do?

I am 23 and married with 1 child. I really want to take some on line classes to become either a Xray Tech, or a Pharmacy Tech. I've been looking at school that offer these classes, but Im unsure on how to pay. I dont know where to go for financial aid or help. Im really lost on the whole thing. Does anyone know what directions to point me or anyone in the same situation or have a kid that is.......please help!

Answer Question

Asked by ToberzMama at 8:25 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • Fill out a FAFSA for federal student financial aid. You can fill it out and submit it online. Here's a link:

    You can only use federal aid to attend an accredited school. Many online programs are not accredited. Best wishes, and congrats on deciding to go back to school. :)


    Answer by StarLee at 8:28 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

  • Pharmacy tech is awesome, and pays great,
    And i dont know how you can get finical aid for online classes if your a no show in school
    its hard but im sure you can ask any local college,

    Answer by LexsiesMommy at 8:28 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

  • There are accredited programs online that will take the Pell grant...but perhaps not the program that you want. I would recommend finding a school that offers the program that you are interested in and then call their financial aid office. The number should be on the website.

    Answer by profmom922 at 11:15 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

  • The school you are interested in will help you with all the financial aspects of getting financial aid and/or student loans. Call the school and after they accept your admission application, they will point you in the right direction.

    Answer by oh_tracie at 3:07 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

  • One recommendation I have is not to attend one of those quick certificate schools. They will charge you a lot and you won't get much out of it. Go to a community college - they have both certificate programs and associates that will do much better for you.
    Go to your local community college and see a counselor - they can help you with everything from financial aid to helping you find a program that fits your needs.

    Answer by janie-o at 6:33 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

  • Do you have a Jr College near you? Much cheaper than online. I'd go that route if It were me. If you do, then just go directly to or call the school and check with their financial aid office. They will walk you through the steps to see how much aid you can get.
    Good luck!

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:10 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

  • If there is a college campus that you want to attend, they should have a financial aide office. I went back to school after my son was born and was totally clueless as to how to apply. I went into the financial aide office and asked what i had to do. They gave me really vague answers and I asked them to elaborate.
    Be sure to look into scholarships that your school offers to moms, also. A lot of colleges have thousands of dollars in scholarships that go unused simply because no one applies for them.

    Answer by bloomsr at 9:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

  • i have a two year old step son and a baby on the way, both me and my husband just got started back in to collage and we are doing it online at it is the only online nationaly accredited school, its really easy to do you only have two classes a term an hour or so of home work a night and when you sign up they call you and help you so its all paid for, out of my husbands grants and loans we just got 3000 to use and will get it again in january. and thats ours to spend. plus any loans you take out you dont have to start paying on them till 6 months after you graduate. Really you should check it out.

    Answer by kiyasmommyp at 3:56 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

  • Go to a community college to start with. Ask their financial aid department for help. Community college is a great place to start . It is not so overwhelming to someone who is starting out.

    Answer by avonbooklady58 at 9:57 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

  • If you are under the required age Job Corp. will train you for a job and I have heard it is very good. ALso I know at our local unemployment office they offer not only jobs but help you go back to school and tell you how to do it.I would definitely stay in the medical feild. But I prefer the XRay tech doesnt seem as stressful to me. A pharmacy tech seems like a stressful job to me.My son tried it and says it is hard. The medical terminology alone is hard.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Nov. 9, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.