Is it possible?

My 17 yo dd lives on the computer, and meets a lot of people that way. Is it possible to meet nice people on line? I know that sounds weird, but it all seems so scary. She recently started talking to a boy who seems alright, and with skype has spent a lot of time talking to him. I know she won't do anything stupid, but I don't know if he will. Is it any worse than meeting someone local?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Well she can't get preg or an STD online
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 11:39 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I think it's scary, but my niece met a boy that way. It's the internet generation I guess.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:45 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• It sounds kind of scary, but JLS is right lol you cant get prego or std's online. But you also have to worry about who she is meeting and if they are lying or if they could be fronting and turn out to be a rapist or murderer. Those are my biggest fears.
    PjsMommy06

Answer by PjsMommy06 at 12:54 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Things and times have changed. Yes there are still predators and wierd and dangerous people out there... but I met my current SO on a networking site as friends... we went on a public mid-afternoon (4pm) date and have been inseperable since. It has been a couple of years and we have an infant together now. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:58 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Yes, times have changed, I know of a lot of otherwise lonely people who have found love through the net. bit it would scare me too.

Answer by older at 1:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• online can be innocent but if she ever plans to meet him in real life you need to be there.There are alot of known pedafiles online behind internet you never know whom you are chatting with men acting as wemen and age can easily be lied about even in person some times
    mylife04

Answer by mylife04 at 7:36 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My son met a very good friend on line. He now (4 years later) goes on vacation with us and comes over for Thanksgiving. We love him.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:53 AM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Unfortunately there is good & bad in all walks of life, good & bad online, off line, schools, church's, family's. It's to bad that the people who are bad do not have sign on their foreheads saying they are bad. There are good & bad everywhere & it's very scary because you just don't know who they are we just need to talk to kids & stay tuned in on what they are doing & who they are doing it with who they are talking to who they hanging out with where they are going & who they are going with. I will check up on my child without him knowing I was even there I have GPS on his cell I check his text messages by doing this I have found out something from them that have scared me. It is my job as a parent to protect my child.
    Shelbegto

Answer by Shelbegto at 5:17 AM on Nov. 15, 2010