Does the term x-mas irritate you?

If so why? If not why?

Duckylicious

Asked by Duckylicious at 11:42 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Holidays

• nope, it doesnt.. I dont have a reason I guess.. It just doesnt
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:43 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• nope, it has a historical tie to the work Christmas

any if there was a Jesus, he wasn't born in December anyways
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:44 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• no it doesnt. i use it when im too lazy to write out Christmas. i never actually say "Xmas" but I do type or write it sometimes. it does bother a friend of mine though, he's super religious and hates when people are lax about the word Christmas, he feels the "Christ" should never be abbreviated.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:44 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I don't use it I think it sounds silly. I have only ever seen it written never spoken, if somebody would say it than yes it would bother me. Christmas sounds so much nicer and more fun. x-mas sounds like a si-fy movie or something=)
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 11:45 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Yes! Because I believe that Christmas was a holiday initially used to celebrate the birth of Christ...hence it is called CHRISTmas.
    Whether you believe in God or not, that is what the holiday IS. If you don't want to celebrate CHRISTmas, then don't. Pick another holiday.
    Yes, I needed to rant about that, thank you! I think I might have to give up cafemom during the holiday so I don't see that 50 times a day!
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 11:46 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Nope. I like abbreviations. They make my life easier.
    Groovyflor1

Answer by Groovyflor1 at 11:46 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• if "jesus is the reason for the season", then how do you explain the fact that Jesus was born in the spring?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:48 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• The letters of the word "Christ" in Greek, the language in which the New Testament was written, or various titles for Jesus early became symbols of Christ and Christianity. For example, the first two letters of the word Christ (cristoV, or as it would be written in older manuscripts, CRISTOS) are the Greek letters chi (c or C) and rho (r or R). These letters were used in the early church to create the chi-rho monogram (see Chrismons), a symbol that by the fourth century became part of the official battle standard of the emperor Constantine.

http://www.crivoice.org/symbols/xmasorigin.html
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:48 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• No. "X" is the modern letter of the Greek "Chi", which translates as "Christ."
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:48 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I agree with Groovyflor.
    lol
    Amanda52007

Answer by Amanda52007 at 11:48 AM on Nov. 11, 2010