Speaking of inappropriate books..The biography of 50 cent for 3rd graders?

Would you have a problem with this book in your childs elementary school?

"My son asked me what was the word d-i-e, and I told him. And the next word he asked was what was c-o-c-a-i-n-e? Cocaine. I snatched the book," said Starrae Maxberry.

Here is the full link
http://www.wlky.com/news/25752815/detail.html

MissAlisabeth

Asked by MissAlisabeth at 11:45 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yeah, sure, cause a 12 year old needs to read this. This is laughable, except, it's not funny. No, I'd be pissed if my kid brought this home. They know full well what books are bought for the school libraries. Like they didn't know what sort of thing would be in a bio about 50 Cent. Sure. I don't believe that for half a second. That book, if in any library, should be in a public library. Not in a school library. Not even a high school library. I'm sure it glamorizes him, the choices he's made. Even if in OUR eyes it doesn't, it probably does in a child's eyes. They need to consider how a child/teen will see it.
    Someone will say something about censorship. But if there weren't problems like this, no one would complain. If they had paid more attention to the books, there wouldn't be this problem. Simply put, this book, the topics discussed IN this book, and not appropriate for children, and should not be in their library.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 12:30 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Censorship is saying "no one should ever read this book". What you're saying, Raine, is that this book doesn't need to be accessed without parental input first (public library vs. school library). To me, that's not censorship; that's letting parents do their jobs as parents.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 12:44 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Yeah, but there are those on here with their granny panties in such tight wads, they cry 'censorship'! Someone will, I'm sure. After I said that, then I thought of the part about it being in public libraries. I write much like I speak.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 12:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• A third grader didn't know the word d-i-e? I don't believe that.

I think it's important for children to read whatever they are interested in, even if some of the topics make adults uncomfortable. I'd see that as an opportunity for discussion rather than an opportunity to hold a book burning.

Boo on banning books.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 12:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Not interesting in book burning it but would protest it being brought into a 3rd graders classroom!
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 2:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I'm sure it glamorizes him, the choices he's made

So you think it should be banned and you haven't even read it? Are you kidding me? Taking information the sensationalist media gives you at face value is dangerous.

Ever heard the phrase "Don't judge a book by it's cover"? It's good advice.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• We can't ban, we will be giving up a very precious freedom but we can definitely limit exposure, that is what parents do…
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 4:38 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

lol that was one of my first thought too. Although this school is one of the ones in the city that isn't doing to well sadly.
    MissAlisabeth

Comment by MissAlisabeth (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Yes, Up, I do think it should NOT be in an elementary school library. It should be in a public library. Like I said in an above post. So, what of it? Has he not said of his mistakes himself? He hasn't been in the media, talking about himself? Oh, and since it's a biography, I think it's safe to say, it's got truth to it. Kids think the sh*t people like him do is awesome, that's why THEY do it. So, yeah, I think it would glamorize him, and shouldn't be in any school library.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 6:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• This stuff is everywhere. There are things that should not be offered up in school.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:30 PM on Nov. 11, 2010