"Mommy I hate you"

Why would a almost 3 year old say this? I was in the kitchen making lunch, and she comes in and says that?! :(

Chell.o_0

Asked by Chell.o_0 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• because they have no filters
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• She has heard it somewhere and seen the reaction it gets. My stock response is "that's ok, I will always be your mommy and I will always love you"
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:57 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Does a 3 y/o really know what hate is? Maybe ask her why she said that, and explain what love and hate are.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:54 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• my 4 year old use to say mean things to me alot when she was 3. she would say she doesnt like me, she doesnt love me, i dont love her, she doesnt want to live here, etc etc. it hurt my feelings a lot and i let her know that. i would ask her how she would feel if i said it to her, and remind her that i will always love her no matter what. but at the same time, i knew she didnt mean any of that stuff. she was angry at me because i wouldnt let her have her way all the time and this was her way of telling me how she felt about it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:56 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My daughter would also say that she hated me, and it was usually due to her not being allowed to do something or go somewhere. I just told her you don't hate mommy, but I understand you are not happy about not having this or not going to this place.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Most likely she could not have what she wanted. My told my mother that once when I was 10 and it was a very very long time before I got anything from her again.
    theresaphilly

Answer by theresaphilly at 12:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• This is my son's new saying all the time and he is 4! Dont worry though, I do not think they even know what hate is and there is no telling where mine got it from he just walked in one day and said it to me also. My response is always, I love you too :)
    PjsMommy06

Answer by PjsMommy06 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• my son has told me he doesnt like me when he gets upset with me, mostly when i wont let him have his way. I take no offense or hurt to it. Hes just expressing his anger. I tend to just ignore it and later we are fine and i am giving him loves as usual and he reciprocates!
    2Kiddos2Sweet

Answer by 2Kiddos2Sweet at 12:46 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Our children are not allowed to say that. In my opinion it is like any other 'bad' word we don't allow our kids to say. It is not kind and loving. I understand they may not be happy with me at the moment, but that phrase is not allowed.

At this point I have not had to deal with that, but if they were to say it they would be disciplined like any other time they speak unkindly. Maybe I would make them stay in my arms for five minutes! :D Sometimes when they get nasty with each other they have to sit on the couch holding hands until I let them up!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• They don't even know what hate it. Most adults probably don't even know what hate really is. So don't take it to heart. She probably heard it somewhere and is just repeating it. Explain that that's not a nice thing to say and tell her you love her. That's about all you can do.
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 1:27 PM on Nov. 11, 2010