How do I know If I can produce breastmilk?

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 11:52 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• 98% of the world's population can successfully produce enough breast milk to sustain 3 babies at one time! I know that must sound amazing because of how many American women are told they can not breastfeed, or do not produce enough milk.

Unfortunately breastfeeding is not something that most medical professionals are well educated regarding, and hand out a lot of ill informed, or completely false information to women when they encounter problems. The ONLY way to know that you are producing enough for your baby is to count diapers. There is no better indicator that your baby is eating enough.
    Any amount of supplementing, whether with a bottle of pumped milk, or with formula will reduce your milk supply, so can pumping since not all women respond well to a pump.

It can talk as long as 5-7 days after birth for you to produce milk, until then the baby eats a nutrient rich pre-milk called colostrum.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:03 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• there is no way to know if you don't try. If you have attepted before and were not successful, every nursing experience is different
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• The greater majority of women have the ability to produce breastmilk.

There are factors that limit the amount of milk you will produce from stress to diet to work. There are also other issues that can impeed your milk production such as the infants ability to latch properly to medical issues.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:55 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• You just have to try honey! I was told that I didn't produce enough with my first child but that didn't stop me from doing it I just supplemented with formula when she still seemed hungry and that worked for all three of mine. I my opinion some is better than none! Good luck
    mom23ks

Answer by mom23ks at 12:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• You will not know until you try.

Answer by older at 11:58 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• There is a VERY small percentage of women worldwide who physically cannot produce milk. I believe it is around 1-2%. Most likely, you will be able to nurse. If you have any more specific questions or concerns, let me know, I'll help as best I can.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• There are not many women who really can't produce milk. Are you asking this because you're not leaking anything prenatally? If you are, don't worry. That means nothing. I didn't leak anything until my last son was actually born and I've been nursing him for over 12 months. Even if you didn't produce anything with a different pregnancy, it could be different this time around. There's just really no way to know until you try.
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 1:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• A woman's body is one of nature's wonders - and is designed to be able to feed her babies. However, every woman's body is different, and sometimes, outside, uncontrollable influences, make it impossible to breastfeed. In those cases, science has created formulas that are as close as they can get to what is produced naturally. However, nothing can replace the real thing. Let your body do its thing and give it a shot. Chances are, you'll be able to produce enough (or more than enough) milk for your little ones without a problem.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 3:34 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I agree with all of the other ladies, you just need to try to actually know.
    1Giovanni

Answer by 1Giovanni at 7:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• It is important to put baby to the breast as soon as possible after birth, this primes the ducts and encourages the release of hormones in the breast allowing milk production to begin 3 to 5 days after birth (obviously you have colostrum from the birth to the time milk comes in). Breastfeeding isn't easy and takes time to establish, often women think they don't have milk but this is due to baby not being latched on correctly so look into positioning and attachment before the birth so you have some different techniques to try.

Of course there are some ladies who are unable to breastfeed but there are many trouble shooting techniques you can use to find out if you really can't feed.

http://www.nctpregnancyandbabycare.com/info-centre/information/view-82 This has some good advice about breastfeeding and what to do if you can't feed.
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 6:14 AM on Nov. 12, 2010