How do you explain to a very advanced 5 year old that your power has been disconnected? Or do you?

Our power was disconnected Tuesday for being 9 days late, yep... 9 whole days. :( No notice (not the first time they've done that to us either) or anything.

We have a 7 month old (bottle fed to boot because I am medically unable to BF), a 3 1/2 yr old and a 5 yr old. We lied and said we were "playing camping" last night and Tuesday because they really like the idea of camping but have never been. The youngest bought it, but my oldest kept saying, "But the bathroom and bedroom lights don't work mommy." I didn't know what else to say so I just told her, "Don't worry about it sweety. I'ts okay." and smiled it away.

I know she knows I'm trying to avoid the subject. :( I told them not to say anything to anyone at daycare/school and they said they wouldn't. So far they haven't and the power won' be on till Friday (tom) when my SO gets paid.

The power company won't work with us and we can't find assistance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Nov. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• contact legal aide, in many states they can't turn off the power in winter months, especially with small children in the house
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:55 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Here they cant disconnect with small children depending on weather. I would say its broke and they are coming to fix it Friday.
    CaptainCookie.

Answer by CaptainCookie. at 11:59 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• awww, i know how you feel momma. my elec. bill was due the 4th and we arent able to pay it til friday as well. we had to go on a road trip 6 hours away on the first of the month and spent his entire miniscual paycheck on the gas money up and back. luckily mine hasn't been shut off yet, here they wait like a good two months of no payment to shut it off. i think you're making the best out of the situation, pretending like you guys are "camping" and making light out of the situation. i'd do what peanutsmommy suggested though, hopefully they can help you out. good luck to you!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:59 AM on Nov. 11, 2010

• http://www.legalaid-ga.org/GA/index.cfm
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:04 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Be matter of fact about it and tell the child that the power was turned off because you couldn't pay for it and that you are working on getting it turned on again.

Answer by Bmat at 12:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Some churches will help. Just get your phone book out and start calling. Ask if they will help. I have done that a few times. Good luck
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• How do I contact legal aid? Can I google it for Ga? Does it cost me anything?

Thank you so much for the positive answers! I was so scared I was going to get bashed!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Oh and if anyone questions how I'm online without power (because I'm assuming it's coming).... I'm at work right now.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Now I've contacted Legal Aid... they do not offer that assistance but they gave me some numbers to call. four to be exact. Everyone says they have hundreds of people on their waiting lists right now and have no emergency funds.

All this trouble over $180. Actually less if they would have accepted our partial payment.

I'm such a bad mother to have allowed this to happen to my babies.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:56 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Oh and Legal aid said it's only illegal if one of the children has a serious medical disease.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2010