when can i give my baby cereal?

shes almost 5 months old and shes so interested in food!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At five months, you should be able to start her on a single grain cereal, especially if she shows interest. :) Have fun and good luck. Remember to wait at least 4 days between new foods in about a month when you start to introduce strained veggies and fruit. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Go ahead and try it. Keep in mind that their bodies still cannot metabolize most of the nutrients in it. She will still need the formula or breast milk.

Give the milk first and then give the cereal.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• i started at 5 months but the cereal made her gassy so i did oatmeal! but its not really needed u could just go straight to baby food if u want! and wait 3-4 days before starting a new food! good luck and have fun!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 12:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• It recommended to hold off on solids until 6 months. We started around 5 1/2 (tried to hold off longer, but he wasn't letting that happen). At 5 months, you're almost there. Try to hold off for a few more weeks if you can and then start on a single grain cereal. Rice is usually well tolerated, but any single grain cereal should be ok.
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 12:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I would recommend waiting until 6 months. I also am not a fan of cereal, so I would suggest around 6 mos, offer something like banana, sweet potato, avocado...But that's just me.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:00 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• we gave DD rice cereal at almost 5 months old.
    kimmiegiggler

Answer by kimmiegiggler at 1:35 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Remember that she's only interested in something you're doing. She does NOT know it's "food." You need to look for all the readiness signs including one that's not visible: The closure of the infant gut. That comes six months postpartum. Later for preemies who need their age adjusted. Remember that what you CANNOT see is vital; otherwise we'd be saying girls are ready to be moms when they menstruate at age ten. We all know they're NOT, despite SEEING physical signs and their possible interest in motherhood.

You don't have to start with cereal. Indeed, I'm amazed that stuff hasn't caused eating aversion; it's kinda icky. You can start with something like a mashed avocado.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:54 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• DS had been on cereal since he was 4 mos old and he is also EBF
    angelluvgoddess

Answer by angelluvgoddess at 2:03 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Yes, if she is showing an interest in food, then she is ready. I actually started my first son at four months of age because he would watch intently as we ate, and try and grab the utensils from us... now my five month old has shown absolutely no interest yet, so I haven't started him on foods yet. I really all depends on the individual baby I think... because when they start showing an interest is when you start doing it... as long as you know it is fine for them, and even at four months of age, she should be fine with food as long as it is bland stuff. I would say start with bland stuff like rice cereal or oatmal (the finely ground stuff, or like triple blended actual stuff..)
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 2:04 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• This website is a great help with starting solid foods with your baby, my pedi recommended it.
    www.wholesomebabyfood.com
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 2:46 PM on Nov. 11, 2010