If you've ever had a gallstone...

I don't know for sure that I have them or they are flaring up or whatever...but I was reading up on the kinds of foods that aggravate them, and I was wondering if you get them every time you eat a certain food, such as milk or chocolate, or does it just happen occasionally when you have these foods?

JJsMoMMy519

Asked by JJsMoMMy519 at 12:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Health

• It wasn't every time, sometimes I'd get lucky but when it did flare up holy cow...I knew it...an attack would last upwards of 15minutes and then would just disappear it is very common to occur during pregnancy. You should call your OB and let them know your symptoms they may not want to wait until your scheduled visit. If you weren't preggo I say you could wait it out but I'd at least give your OB a call.
    Duckylicious

Answer by Duckylicious at 12:36 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• When I had them greasy, fatty foods tended to make it flair. Unfortunately it flared up during my pregnancy. It felt so incredibly painful I thought I was having a heart attack or going into labor. Each time I had an attack I would vomit and cry for the pain to go away, it was awful. I had 4-5 attacks while pregnant. Delivered, got about a 2 week reprieve and then started in with more daily attacks ending in surgery about 3 1/2 weeks post partum. The goal was to make it through the pregnancy and try to avoid surgery while preggo, I made it, barely. You will know if you are having serious gallstone problems...but if it is truly a problem see a doc to try and find the cause of your discomfort.
    Duckylicious

Answer by Duckylicious at 12:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I also had surgery to have gallbladder removed 2 weeks after having my first child. The nurse had told me alot more women are having problems due to hormones.
    goldengrl65

Answer by goldengrl65 at 12:20 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Did it flare up every time you had greasy foods or sometimes it would not flare up? And how long after you had the foods would it happen? I have had severe pain that came on suddenly twice this week and left suddenly. I'm trying to figure out if a certain food causes it, if it's just gas...will be going to the doctor soon for prenatal check-up and will ask then but wanted to know from other moms' experiences. Thanks :).
    JJsMoMMy519

Comment by JJsMoMMy519 (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• It's really very random. I had severe pain during my Pregnancy and had it removed a few months after my Son was born. Any food item can cause a flare up and you really need to have it removed because it never gets better and the attacks become worse & worse. To determine wether or not you have gallstones, they will give you a simple ultrasound of your gallbladder & they can see the stones on the ultrasound. Hope you feel better soon.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:31 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Greasy and Fatty foods. I had an attack eating tomatoes that left me in the ER and then having my gallbladder out cause mine was full of fallstones
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 4:49 PM on Nov. 11, 2010