geeze! no wonder!

I've been watching that show Animal Cops...and all I have to say is NO WONDER people think pitt bulls are the worst dogs in the world! There are so many being taken away that were part of dog fights. The breed gets such a bad name b/c of idiots like that...just makes me mad (sorry had to vent a little)

josiesmommy00

Asked by josiesmommy00 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Pets

• The only reason pit bulls have a bad rep is because of the people who use and abuse them... By nature, they are amazing dogs, and WONDERFUL with people. Trust me, if poodles had as much heart, power and endurance as pit bulls do, they would be the one being used in dog fights, instead. All the things that make the breed great, also makes them attractive to low lives and thugs. It's horrible.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• and pitbulls, if raised properly (as with any dog) are really gentle dogs. my cousin has 3 and my 10 month old LOVES them (hangs all over them!)
    SweetPieMama24

Answer by SweetPieMama24 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I agree, Pits get a bad rap and in most cases it is the owners fault not the animal, I have personally know a few who are amazing and very loving animals, so yes I agree!!!
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 12:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• EXACTLY!
    People think that Pitts are natural born killers, that they're naturally aggressive, but that's soo not the case. Pitts are actually very loving dogs and really loyal to their owners. They are TRAINED to be killers, TRAINED to be fighters, TRAINED to be aggressive. Every animal has a natural instincts, but rarely do they act on them unless that is the last possible resort. People really need to understand that.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:32 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I agree when they show stuff like that on TV it only makes it worse not all of those dogs are bad. I do not own one but I know people that do and a lot of them are nicer than my aussie which this past week we had to put a beware of dog sign on our fence cause we are afraid she will end up biteing someone.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 12:34 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Don't know a thing about pitbulls but all dogs can bite and cause problems around kids. I hate when I am walking down the street and my kids reach out to pet a dog and I pull them away and the owner says, "oh it's okay.. he's friendly.. he doesn't bite".. (yeah.. that's what they all say..)
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 12:30 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Pits are a gentleman's dog. A well-raised pit will never start a fight. They have no reason to, and they don't go looking for trouble. But make no mistake, they'll finish a fight! They have no back-down in them. The live strong, love strong, and are gentle when raised well. We rehabbed a pit for a little while. While we are definitely lab-people, that little pit stole my heart!
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 12:47 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Did you know Charpeis (sp) were bred to fight? Other dogs were, too, I'm sure. Pits do get a bad rap. Which is a shame. They aren't even the most likely to bite.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 12:45 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Here we go..
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 12:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I'm sure they were fine at one time, and weren't bred for fighting. But many have ruined the breed, it's not just TV. They are being bred to be aggressive now. And unless you can track their AKC heritage, you can't be sure where they came from. I have been attacked by a pit, and also saw a child attacked in front of me when I was a child. They tell you when you are searching for a dog to research your breed. There are breeds that are, nervous, aggressive, not good with kids, posssesive of owners, high strung, etc. Those are breeds that I choose not to have around my kids. I'm sure many have success, but it's just not worth it for me. It's not just pits, akitas, dalmations(believe it or not), chows, german shepards, and I'm sure many more. Different breeds have different natures.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2010