Tough decision...what to do with lying 7yr old? NEEDS TO LEARN

Okay so we recently took a trip to our home town in LA as we often do. We ended up taking my daughter out of school for a couple days for the trip. We went to Hollywood and a few other places too.

When we got back and my daughter returned to school everyone was asking her where she was. She told them she went to Hollywood and that she saw Taylor Swift. She did not see Taylor swift, it was a complete lie.

It is worse because my daughter is always lying and getting in trouble for it, it has been going on for years and I can't get her to stop, every time I think she has learned she does it again.

It was hard just to get the story out of her so she knew it was wrong because she didn't want to tell me. She lied when I asked her about it but I knew right away that she was lying so I had to basically force it out of her.

So the question is should I make her go to school tell all her friends that she lied to them?
Help!

milf661

Asked by milf661 at 12:52 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• At her age lying is pretty normal- not that it's ok. I aways tell the kids it's ok to say "I wish I would have......" I think it would be ok to make her tell the truth, she might think twice the next time she tells a lie like that.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I'm not sure if I would make her confess all, but I would make sure she knows I am not backing up any of her lies and that, eventually, she will get caught and have to live with the embarrassment and humiliation. It is exhausting to keep up with lying, but she is at an age when trying to be special is important. Maybe try to refocus her energy on her strengths. Try approaching the lying by asking her what it feels like when she finds out someone she likes lies to her...good luck this is a tough one!
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 9:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• There is no point in that. I would just try to impress upon her that if she lies she will not have any friends because people will realize they cannot trust her.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:14 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• They probably didn't believe her anyway. They're 7. It'll work itself out eventually and she'll get caught in enough lies that she'll stop.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:26 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My son who is 7 recently came home from school with a fat lip, he told me some boy punched him on the bus. the more I questioned him the story changed but only after I had already called the principle and this kids mother. So I made HIM tell the principle he lied and I was not going to get him out of it. And told him that when he did stuff like that he was going to face whoever he lies to and tell them the truth..
    pcbc

Answer by pcbc at 1:09 PM on Nov. 12, 2010