Do you care what color the walls are in an apartment?

I'm trying to find a renter for my condo. Some of the walls in the living room are painted black. It looks classy--with white baseboards and a tan carpet--people say it's very HGTV in here. I've been having trouble finding a renter, so should I paint the black to a neutral? Would it stop you from renting? When I've rented in the past, I didn't care much how it looked.

orangeorbie

Asked by orangeorbie at 8:45 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Home & Garden

• I'd go with neutral... black walls aren't everyone's taste so it would definitely make it hard to find a renter.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 8:47 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I thin neutral would be better.... I know I would have a hard time with a black wall.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:47 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• neutral would make the space seem bigger, and that might change how people see the area. i personally don't know if i'd be able to rent a place that has black walls.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 9:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Thanks, everyone! I was planning on painting in the morning so that's just what I'll do : )
    orangeorbie

Answer by orangeorbie at 9:07 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• I really like black walls myself, but I dont think it is a hot seller to most people at least what I learned from interior design classes. Red is a detourant so I suggest staying away from that. I agree with making it a light, but still classy color to make space bigger. It is always hard to say what people like. Everyone has slightly different taste. I bet it looks wonderful the way it is!
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 9:22 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• When its neutral it goes with anything. So as boring as it is its best to stick with that.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 9:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Home & Garden would still tell you, if you're looking to sell, paint white. I myself would not want black walls.
    knightmoves

Answer by knightmoves at 3:16 AM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Ha, so I painted over the black walls (2 out of 3 of them) and (LOL) the red hallway and guess what? Today I got new tenants! Thanks for your input.
    orangeorbie

Answer by orangeorbie at 11:42 PM on Nov. 8, 2008