Thoughts on this article?

Very interesting take on sex and drugs in society. Why do you think it works for them? Could it work in the US?

SabrinaBean

Asked by SabrinaBean at 1:03 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it only backs up my believe 100%. I always find it amazing that in a country where we supposedly have "Freedom" we continue to be "shown up" by countries like this...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• It's fairly on point, and highlights the findings of many studies.... Like I have said so many times before, making it taboo puts kids in dangerous scenarios. Making it the norm is the only healthy way to successfully combat the potential hazards.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:10 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• You know, my mom didn't promote the idea of sex and drug use and such, btu she also didn't act as if it DOESN'T happen amogst teens and she was always very opena nd honest with me. She spoke to me as an adult and explained the facts. She prohibited actions and we agreed on those because I understood what I could get into if I followed through with such actions. I plan to parent my children in the same way.

I do not and never have smoked, I do not and never have been an alcoholic (social drinker on very rare occasion and only one Smirnoff and I'm done, lol) and I was a virgin until the age of 18.

Maybe I should check my bloodlines for Dutch ancestry! lol
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Memigen.... exactly! My parents were the same way. I didn't have free reign, there were rules, and I knew the consequences...but my mom also told me once: "No matter what situation you're in, you can always call me and I will come get you. Even if you think I'll be mad, call me anyway. We can always talk about it later." My mom is awesome!
    I've made this point on other topics; my opinion is, why can't we expect kids to understand consequences and control themselves because its the right thing to do? They are smart, they just need guidance... and teens need to be prepared for adulthood.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:52 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I'm Dutch (born and raised), and I've been saying this for YEARS!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• There are those that still think putting their teenage daughters on BC pills is 'allowing' them to have sex. Which is ridiculous. My mom told me this when I was 15 and she took me to the doc for them. I didn't get them the first time. I got an exam done, but I was still a virgin. He didn't feel he could do a correct exam??? so he wouldn't prescribe them. A few months later, my mom took me back. She strongly requested them. There happen to be other benefits to them. KWIM?
    Anyway, on one hand, sex and drugs are so rampant here, to switch to the ways of the Dutch may not work now. If done slowly, over time, sure. As I'm sure, many parents already sorta do now. And those would be the teens with the good relationship with their parents. Ya know? The ones less likely to find themselves preggo, or addicted to drugs.
    But yes, for a country with so many freedoms, we do seem rather....uptight.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 2:56 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• The fact is, when you forbid teenagers to do something (be it drugs, alcohol, sex, you name it), that only makes it more appealing to them. Yes, marijuana is easily obtained over there, and that's the main reason kids just don't do it. Growing up, I tried it once, out of curiosity, and that was about it. None of my friends ever had any drug addiction issues either. Same with alcohol, you can order it in a bar legally at age 16. Did we drink? Sure we did, but never in excess. We were very informed about sex, sexual diseases, and pregnancy. We had access to birth control and the morning after pill, even without our parents' consent. However, that was never really an issue, because our parents ENCOURAGED responsible behavior. My dad put me on the pill well before I became sexually active... Guess what, nobody I ever know had to deal with a teenage pregnancy. The abortion and adoption rate in general is much lower, too.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:27 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Their reasoning? I can tell you that in a nutshell... "Family Values". Those against this are firmly in the "just say no" category, and are in complete denial about the reality, as in "that just doesn't work". These are the same people who think providing teenagers with access to condoms will "encourage them to have sex", or making marijuana legal will turn everybody into potheads and will inevitably lead to harder drugs, or legalizing gay marriage will somehow turn their children gay.... In other words, people who don't really let things like logic and facts stand in their way of thinking.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:43 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• So we do things differently, What makes you think the way they do things is the right way and ours is wrong. Teach your kids well and they will do whats right. Be open with your kids. My daughter was recommended at 16 to get on BC for her acne. She refused and didn't do it. She finally relented when she was 18 because the acne bothered her not because she wanted to have sex.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:28 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• SabrinaBean

Comment by SabrinaBean (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2010