Call and ask my boss for help... or just rough it out another night?

Our power was disconnected Tuesday for being 9 days late with no notice (not the first time they've done that to us either) or anything.

We have a 7 mth old (bottle fed as I am medically unable to BF), a 3.5 yr old and a 5 yr old. We lied and said we were "playing camping" last night and Tuesday because they really like the idea of camping but have never been. The youngest bought it, but my oldest kept saying, "But the bathroom and bedroom lights don't work mommy." I didn't know what else to say so I just told her, "Don't worry about it sweety. I'ts okay."

So far they haven't and the power won't be on till tomorrow when my SO gets paid.

The power company won't work with us and we can't find assistance. I kind of think my boss MIGHT could. Do I ask or not? If I do and he can't, how will he react?

I'm scared of someone calling DFCS.

We've made it 2 nights, should we just go for 3?

[At work using the net.]

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I wouldn't ask my boss. I wouldn't want the situation to affect my work or job. It could make you look bad or irresponsible at work. Don't take me wrong. I'm not saying these things about you, just how your boss might perceive it, and obviously you don't want anything happening to your job.

I'm sorry!
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 2:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Really? I really thought they couldn't shut the power off if there were infants in the house. That is total bs. I guess you should ask for help from anyone you can.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I don't know about where you live, but here in MN if I understand the law correctly it is illegal for the power companies to shut off power between November and March because they don't want people to freeze to death during the winter. I say ask your boss s/he might have some suggestions.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 1:38 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Is there anyone besides your boss to ask?
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:39 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• If you have a great relationship with your boss then go ahead BUT if its only a work relationship, then I would leave it like it is. You can ask for a advancement without telling your boss the real reason why....good luck
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:43 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• If it were me, I wouldn't ask my boss. You really should keep your home life and work life seperate.
    kimmiegiggler

Answer by kimmiegiggler at 1:44 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• me personally, I wouldn't want my boss knowing my personal business. I would just go one more day without
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:31 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I was given the advice to contact legal aid and they said that it is only illegal to cut our power with kids in the house if they have a medical issue which needs power. They gave me four numbers to call. One was disconnected and the others said they have hundreds of people on lists in front of me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• No Melbornj. :( My friends are all struggling trying to find jobs or are supporting family members right now. My mom just had to leave and go to Fl to care for my sick great-grandma and she couldn't have helped anyhow. My only sister is in rehab and I have no way to contact her and she couldn't help me either. I was always helping my mom and sister before... so my family is definately out.

I've called EVERYONE in town.... churches, organizations, everyone. No luck. :(

FML
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:46 PM on Nov. 11, 2010