methadone

please dont answer this unless its positive supportive addvice, im not looking to be put down I genuinly need support. I am on methadone and in the last 2 years dropped my dose more than 3/4. so now im a low dose and just found out I am pregnant (not planned). Does anyone have experience with how this goes? I would like to continue to drop my dose but do not want to hurt the fetus. This is obviously not the perfect situation but I would like to embrace the pregnancy and be methadone free sooner than later. Please tell me this is doable, I am not a bad person and like everyone else only want whats best for my unborn baby:) Any positive input or advise would be great

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I really feel for you, I do not know what it is like to be in your shoes, but I do know you are doing the right thing by doing what you can to get and stay clean! That is very admirable! I would be very cautious about lowering the dose while pregnant, I am sure you know how much withdrawl hurts and you don't want your fetus going through that. I kept babies born addicted to drugs and babies born on methadone. It is hard to watch a baby withdrawl, but they are able to step down and get off methadone much easier than adults. Please talk with your doctor and maybe look for a support group for methadone moms. Do not look at this as a delay in your sobriety, look at it as making the best decisions you can for your little one. Congrats on the baby and the strides you have made towards being drug free!
    LSUFFMomma

Answer by LSUFFMomma at 1:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• i have no knowledge on this but way to go sticking with the methadone and going down on it :)
    Anonymous

• I would talk to your doctor as soon as possible. He or she can give you advice on what would be the safest thing for both you and your baby. I remember watching the show "I am pregnant and......." and one of the ladies there was in the same situation as you. She chose to continue taking her methadone because the doctor told her it would be better for the baby to have that then go through withdrawals and risk preterm labor among other things. But like I said, speak to your doctor about your unique situation.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 1:44 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• You need to see an OBGYN ASAP. Only a Medical Professional can give you proper advice & guidance. Plase make an appointment today. Good luck.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• plase= please (sorry spelling)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:49 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I agree with the other ladies, this is really a question only a doctor can answer... But I wish you the best of luck, and congrats!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I think it is too dangerous to withdraw now when your pregnant. They normally go up on the dosage because of the baby.your clinichopefully have doctors that can it explain all tov you. They normally detox the baby when he/she is born. Stay on course and congratulation.
    rebock

Answer by rebock at 12:36 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• My friend with the help of her doctor lowered her dose gradually threw the first 4 months of pregnancy. Granted its not the best for pregnancy but I wish you luck.
    Luckybear05

Answer by Luckybear05 at 10:21 AM on Nov. 12, 2010