my 6 year old daughter screams does not mind me ,spits on me , had a fit doing home work back talks what should i do?

she has a 4 year old sister

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Seriously, I don't see anything wrong with a good spanking in this case.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 1:39 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• someone help please
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Take control. That would never be allowed in my house. Let the child know that it is not acceptable. Bad actions lead to punishments. I am all for spanking but there are alternatives, time out, taking of privileges. It is time to be the adult and to not let that happen any longer. To me the child sound like they need a wake up call.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:42 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• It would help if we knew what discipline mantra you follow and what you have tried so far.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 1:42 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• kids will treat you how you allow them to treat you. Tell her if she doesn't do homework, that you have to write the teacher a note telling her that she refused to do it. That worked with my DD. Start taking rights away, that helps too...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:45 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Been through this, been to counseling etc etc. Best advice was to sit down with a list of rules for the household, at that age she should also have some chores to do. Then every time (be consistant!) she breaks a rule or doesn't do a chore there is a consequense for it. At that age she can also sign the rules and chores list and it gets posted so that when there is a "violation" you can point to it and show her that she knew the rules and she chose to break it and now she has the consequence. You have to follow through each and ever time though or it won't work. good luck
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Here to help - When your daughter screams, is she already sitting in her homework place, or is she running around? If she's running around, she needs diversion. If she is already sitting at her homework place, this maybe a sign of intense frustration. Whether or not, when she does scream, back off about a foot for an instant and be calm. When she quiets down, smile at her and ask her."What would you like for me to do?" , if she hasn't already made her statement. Once she has made her claim, slow down to what is comfortable for her and do the problem in front of her to prove that the problem is doable. Then help her step by step. Remember patients is key to problem solving and communication. While she is young, this is the best time to work with communication so that she can carry these skills into her adulthood.

Wish you the best
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 1:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• oh and the homework thing, tell her to do it if she doesn't when she goes to school she will have the concequence there from her teacher.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 1:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• i have spanked her, put her in timeout , and grounded her i mean not let her go play outside or go to her nanas now what?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• You have to keep following through everytime she misbehaves and you have to keep doing it until it stops and when it happens again (which it will) you have to follow through on those consequences. Are thinking that you will do it a couple of times and then she will never do anything like that again? You might have to work on her fits for 6 months before she comes around and knows that the same thing is going to happen every time. There is no quick fix and you have to keep at it.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 2:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2010