Is this okay??

My son is 9 months old and is still mostly on the bottle. He doesn't understand the sippy cup. We have been trying for a few months now. He just chews on it. I feed him cereal for breakfast and fruit and veggie baby food for dinner. He also likes to snack on baby crackers and puffs. But he has soooo many bottles a day! Is this okay? I have a hard time getting him to eat his baby food. I try to make noises to get his attention but he just looks at me like I am crazy lol At 9 months, should I introduce milk, etc? What was/is your 9 month's old feeding schedule like? Also, he does not yet hold the bottle himself. Is this ok too??

BraydonsMama262

Asked by BraydonsMama262 at 2:00 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 9 months, baby food is not necessary. His nutrition should be majority from formula or breast milk.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 2:04 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• At 9 months neither of my kids were on more than one "solid" meal a day, although I breastfed rather than bottle. But Neither of my kids had a sippy cup at that age either. Honestly I had never thought to start it that young. I don't know about introducing milk or anything cause once again, I nursed, but if he's not on soy formula I don't see the risk in adding milk.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:04 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• You shouldn't give your baby milk until he is 1.
    melissasue38

Answer by melissasue38 at 2:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Up to 12 months, they still get most of their nutrition from the milk. Don't transfer to cow milk until 12 months at least.

As for the other foods, as long as he is trying them, he is fine. He will be eating solids soon enough without the formula or breastmilk anyway. Up to now it's about getting used to the textures.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Don't introduce cow's milk until he's a year old. Ask your pediatrician, they won't digest it properly yet.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 2:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Every child moves at there own pace. My daughter is 7 months and eats table food and baby food., she loves grits and eggs mixed and mashed potatoes. She will only hold the 4 oz juice bottle. Not a full 8 oz bottle yet. She just ate a fry yesterday and loved it. Keep trying to introduce new things to him and see what works.
    mommyg24

Answer by mommyg24 at 2:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Well at 9 months he should be having roughly 24-32 ounces of formula a day based on his weight. And it's okay if he isn't holding it himself yet or won't take a sippy yet. All babies are different. And you might find that you have to try several kinds of sippy cups before you find the one he likes and will use. I had that issue with my son, who is now 6, and my daughter....sadly the only sippy she likes is $7 for one, lol.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Oh and as for the bottles and sippys, have you tried the cups with the silicone straw instead? My DD wouldn't take the hard sippy cups but loved the ones with the straw.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• A 9 month old's diet should be 24-32oz of breastmilk or formula in about 4-5 feedings daily, plus 4 or more tablespoons of fruits, 4 or more tablespoons of veggies, and 4 or more tablespoons of cereal. What your baby eats will vary some depending on appetite, for the first year they are just fed on demand. As he gains more interest in solids he will eat more, as long as he is healthy and gaining weight normall don't worry about it. For sippy cups, the soft spout ones usually work well for starting out, and he will figure it out sooner or later, it's not a big deal if he doesn't drink from one at 9 months.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Totally okay! All of it! Don't worry. He's still little. At 9 months, kids should get all the breast milk or formula they want (no cow milk yet). You are doing the right thing about introducing the idea of eating meals and offering him different flavors and textures. When DS was 9 mo, I would offer him at least 1 "challenging" thing with each meal (texture, flavor, etc.) and 1-3 easy/yummy things. And keep it up with the sippy. Kids figure it out when they are ready. Maybe try different kinds (soft, hard, straws, real cups, water bottles, etc.) if you don't mind spending the money. And go ahead and hold his bottle as long as he needs it. You can try to just place his bottle in front of him when he's sitting in his chair and walk away. See what he does. If he tries to drink, let him! I stressed about all these things, too, (most new moms do) but it all worked out in good time.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 2:37 PM on Nov. 11, 2010