Unsupervised...

i'm just wanting to get some opinions i guess. my older son is 3 years old. in the house we lived in until a couple of months ago, his bedroom and our bedroom were both in a hallway so we would gate the hallway so if he got up, he could only come into our room. we moved, and our rooms are right next to each other but there isn't a hallway really, no way to gate without just gating his door, which i don't want to do.

Well I get up at 5:30 and get in the shower and sometimes he wakes up and just goes and sits in the living room and plays or something. This morning, he was coloring by himself in the living room. lol. my husband is HARD to wake up, so he sleeps through of course.

Well i just feel uncomfortable having him unsupervised... even though he really doesn't do anything.

Does anyone have any input on this? nice input? lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My kids did the same thing. They were fine. As long as you are positive he won't go outside, I don't see the harm.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Go ahead and put the gate up by his door and teach him to call you when he is ready to come out and to play for a while until you come to get him. Ther is nothing wrong with him playing in his room for while while you get ready. When he is old enough to comprehend it, teach him to stay in his room (except to go potty) without the gate until you get him.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:26 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• but_mommie brings up a good point--we haven't started night training yet but then i will definitely want him to be able to get to the potty ;)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• If you don't want to gate his door and you are ok with him going in the livingroom on his own, then I would suggest making sure the house is childproofed and deadbolt locks on door. That way he can't get out of the house or get into things while you are in the shower.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:31 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Have some things in his room for him to do. I gave my son two options...he could look at books which he loved to do or he could play quietly with his train set in his room, but he was not allowed to go downstairs without me. I realize not every 3 yr old is mature enough to follow directions like that but it worked with my son.
    lish2127

Answer by lish2127 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• our girls (2 and 3) have a gate at their door, since the stairs are RIGHT outside their door, and our dog sleeps in our room (he's still new, we've only had him 2 weeks so not comfy with letting the girls around him alone..)... they have no issues, and my oldest who is fully potty trained and my youngest who is working on night training... both just call to us at night... i'm a heavy sleeper at times... so we actually got a wireless doorbell... we put the button in their room, i have the "bell" part in my room... if they call and no one answers, they know to push the bell
    it sounds bad... i know... but it is for their safety that the gate is there, and for their comfort that they can push the bell to wake me.
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• If he's not breaking anything or getting hurt, be happy that he can entertain himself quietly in the mornings. That's awesome.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:45 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• when i was sahm i would tell my son who was like 2yrs old, i am gona take a shower and if you need me i am right here. and i would leave the bathroom door open and take a really quick shower. i would call his name every 30 seconds to make sure he was ok. just something i had to do. i would always check the doors and make sure anything that he shouldn't into to was out of his reach. im sure he's fine.
    cuteness13983

Answer by cuteness13983 at 4:10 PM on Nov. 12, 2010

• Before I started working after moving to another state, I would sleep through my daughter waking up. She knows how to turn on the tv as well as get out her colors. When she got hungry, she'd come in and let me know. I was up after that. Be careful, though; some ladies are here are super self-ritious and will say that no matter what you choose, you're a bad mom. DON'T LET THIS GET TO YOU. You're doing the best you can. If you think your son can handle it, don't worry.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 9:56 PM on Nov. 18, 2010