This may be a wierd question to ask but.. is mayo supposed to smell like vinegar?

I want to make tuna but I smlled the mayo and it smells like salt and vinegar potato chips, Lol. I dont think ive ever smelled mayo before and Ive had this jar for a while so I wanted to see if it was bad. I know its made with vinegar... anyways the expiration date isnt until next June but Ive had those dates fool me a few times so I just wanna make sure.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Food & Drink

• In most cases of is it ok, I say if in doubt, throw it out, but not in this one. Yes, it contains vinegar, and some brands more than others will have a faint vinegar smell. Some people may not be able to smell it, but it is there. I just checked my mayonnaise that I used earlier today, and I can smell the vinegar, and it is perfectly ok. You may be also more sensitive to smells than the average person. Unless you left the mayonnaise sit out on the counter for over two hours, it should be fine.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 3:51 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• When in doubt, throw it out. Get rid of it and open a new jar.
    Anonymous

• No,it is not.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:37 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• thats the same thing i thought but this is the third jar ive bought this month alone! @ anonymous
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:28 PM on Nov. 11, 2010