INDUCTION TOMORROW MORNING! help please!

Having second baby tomorrow! Never been induced before so idk what to expect!! whats it like? did anyone get sick? So far ive only had toast for breakfast this morning [not a huge breakfast fan] and thinking of having ceasar salad for my late lunch/dinner.. yumm -- is that a bad idea tho? I dont wanna be going to the bathroom during labor or throwing up.. i was told by the nurse to have a very light breakfast tomorrow and thats it.. but idk what i should do about today to help prevent being sick in labor.. I dont want to NOT eat today.. im going to need food for engergy for labor tomorrow.. any opinions or stories are helpful at this point!! TELL ME WHAT YOUVE GONE THROUGH!! thanks!! p.s. im also 40 weeks today.. is it strange for them to be inducing me tomorrow?

kp0469

Asked by kp0469 at 2:50 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Good luck! I wouldn't eat anything heavy or greasy. My Dr. gave me pitocin and broke my bag of water so labor started pretty quick and intense.
    goldengrl65

Answer by goldengrl65 at 2:54 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• You are only 40 weeks? You don't *have* to be induced if you don't want to be you know (as long as everything is fine)...

If you choose to be induced tomorrow. EAT! You need your energy!! :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Congratulations and good luck! I was induced with all 3 of my boys- my body just never learned how to start on its own I guess. It's ok. I can't compare it to not being induced though. You can eat today. Maybe not after 8 pm, but you don't want to be hungry and not have strength to get through it. It is ok that they are inducing you at 40 weeks. My kids were late, the third baby only by 3 days, but as soon as he came out he pooped (within 5 minutes) so the Dr. said it was good they induced me that day otherwise he would have had a BM inside and possibly inhaled it. You will do great. Contractions so I've heard are a little stronger when induced, but the nurses will constantly be checking you and changing the dosage as needed. You can always get your epidural at 3-4 centimeters and then just enjoy the entire labor and delivery pain free. I'm excited for you!
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 2:57 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• What is the reason for the induction? Unless there is some danger to your baby or to yourself, I would advise waiting and letting your body do its job on its own. Induced labor is usually harder with no breaks between the contractions. The likelihood of your ending up with a c-section is greater, and your recovery time will be longer.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:57 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Eat what you want today. you won't get sick from what you eat today. As for breakfast, don't gorge yourself but eat lightly and don't have any milk.

My induction lasted 32 hours before I saw my baby. Talk about starving! and I didn't request an epidural until hour 29 when I couldn't stand the 1 hour contraction anymore. It's not bad if you get a nurse that pays attention but I think the last nurse I had only had 1 goal...to crank the pitocin up as far as she could as fast as she could get it there.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:58 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I was induced at 37 weeks bc my fluid level was waayy low. My cervix was still closed, too. They gave me some pill thing that they put up at my cervix to "thin it out" to make you dialate .. It doesn't hurt. Just feels like "cramping" .. but it's not that bad at all. By the time i got to 4 cm, I got my epidural and then they started patocin (sp?) and then manually stretched me to 5 .. didn't take long from there. I didn't feel a thing after I got my epidural. It was wonderful. Congrats and good luck!!
    sgt.youngs.wife

Answer by sgt.youngs.wife at 2:58 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• EAT now! after midnight they told me nothing but water and i used to work at an ob/gyn.... I had to be at the hospital at 5 AM, i was on a pitocin drip, they broke my water at 10AM and i had my son at 4:11PM and that was my experience... very simple just keep in mind they only allow you to have liquids and popcycles at the hospital tho
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 2:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I agree. Eat today! You will need that energy for labor. I would make sure you get at least one meal full of lean protein tonight; chicken breast, beef roast. Also get some whole grains and veggies. Tomorrow I would have toast and two eggs.

Good luck and HAPPY PUSHING!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• eat something nice and healthy!! my water broke at 4am and i didnt eat before i got to the hospital i was in labor 14 hours so i went 24 hours without food!! i was starving so weak i pushed for 3 hours!! EAT EAT EAT! good luck!! u will do fine!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 2:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• You will be fine! I had to be induced with my first one. My water broke, but I had no contractions. I started receiving Pitocin around 2 pm..didn't have my first contraction until after 3...my baby was born shortly after 10. The induced birth was EASY compared to the 3.5 days of labor with baby # 2.

I didn't get sick and I had eaten enchiladas, rice and beans about 45 minutes before my water broke!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:00 PM on Nov. 11, 2010