Alcohol while breastfeeding

Okay, I am only asking because I care very much for my baby and want only the best for her. I havn't actually had her yet, so I haven't really got to talk to the doctor about all the details of breastfeeding yet. I would NEVER drink and then breastfeed in an unsafe amount of time. I am very close to my due date, and my husband and I were talking about taking a nice vacation with just the both of us a few months after her arrival. Of course, I will pump enough before we leave for her to have while we are gone. We are planning to be gone 2-3 days, and my husband and I do usually enjoy drinks while we are away. So, my question is if I drink all the days I am gone when can I start back to breastfeeding her when I get back.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Nov. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes :) you and she will be perfectly fine.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 9:28 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• It's something like.. 6 hours? after drinking before you breastfeed. And Pump and dump the milk you produce in that time. Drink as much as you want. Talk to your doc to be sure about the time though to get the correct info for future times
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 9:29 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• one alcoholic drink takes 1 hour to get out of your system. that's 1 1/2 ozs (1 shot) or liquor, 1 glass of wine or one beer. if you drink 3 drinks, wait three hours and it'll be out of your milk. just keep track of when you start drinking and how many drinks, then wait that many hours. if you have 5 in the evening before bed then sleep atleast 5 hours then it would be ok to pump and save in the morning.

i was actually told by LC in the hospital that i would be ok to have one in my system and BF, that my baby would just act a little drunk/sleepy after that feeding. i've choose not to do this, and just drink when i know it'll have time to be out before i have to pump. i only drink on nights when she's at her mamaw's and i know that i won't have to feed her.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 9:58 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• You do not need to pump & dump! Whatever you do, do not waste your precious milk! Alcohol metabolizes in your milk the same way it does in your blood. So with a little time, all of the alcohol will work its way out of your milk. A rule of thumb I've heard is that if you don't feel tipsy, if you're sober enough to drive, you're fine to nurse your baby.

You will be fine to nurse her when you get back, as long as it's the morning after your drinks.

Do realize though, that if you're going to be away from a 2 or 3 month old for 3 days, you're going to need to have around 75 ounces pumped if you want her to only have breastmilk...And that means a LOT of pumping! I don't personally recommend it, but you can supplement with formula. Which if I were to do, I would mix half breastmilk, half formula to ensure that baby will take it.

kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 10:00 PM on Nov. 2, 2008

• Also, in order to maintain supply, you will need to be pumping on your vacation, every 2-4 hours. If you pump after you've had more than one drink, dump it (you're only pumping to maintain supply). But if it's during the day and you haven't drank anything, more milk to stockpile!

Good luck!

Anonymous

• I didn't mean for the second half of my post to be anonymous, hah! The above post is right....one hour per drink. But always consider when ordering mixed drinks that there is often more than one shot in them.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 10:02 PM on Nov. 2, 2008