Head Start

Is anyone elses child in head start? If so when you walk in the room to pick them up do you see all the kids coughing all over and is your child constantly sick ever since they started, last week she was exposed to ring worm,OMG, and this week exposed to head lice, OMG again. My husband says its all part of school they all pass around colds and whatever nasty things they have. Just wondering if its just my kids head start or others is the same and any suggestions to keep her healthy and ring worm and lice free?? Please i dont want to pull her out because i know school is good for her but ewww. no lice or ring worm for her by the way. not yet any way..praying she doesnt get either.

lovinmybaby87

Asked by lovinmybaby87 at 2:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• they will pick up stuff from time to time, my son has been chronically ill this is his first year and he is 3 never been to day care either, however we are in head start and have other issues such as hes been bit 4 times by same kid and nothing was ever really done, we got nowhere with him we keep getting him back injusred so we pulled him and enrolled him elsewhere
    juansmommy

Answer by juansmommy at 3:16 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My DD is in Head Start. They do a "health check" everyday as soon as the kids get there. If for some reason they don't pass, they get sent home right away. Not sure if every school does that or just DD's.
    And my DD hasn't gotten sick yet (knock on wood). She's never been to daycare or preschool other than Head Start. We just make sure we keep up with her immune system - lots of sleep, good eating habits, exercise, etc.
    MommySteph06

Answer by MommySteph06 at 4:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My DD is in headstart and they are strict with wanting parents to keep their sick children home and the children having good hygeine while at school. She has been going there for 2 years and I was worried when I innitially sent her because she has asthma but they keep a good eye on her watching for signs of an attack.
    saydeejo

Answer by saydeejo at 5:21 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• my 3 year old goes to a co op preschool... none of those sicknesses in her school.
    asil

Answer by asil at 9:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Kids pick up stuff all the time at school. The ringworm is kinda gross, but the lice and coughs and other bugs are totally the norm.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:44 AM on Nov. 12, 2010

• bump!
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 3:50 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• It's not just Headstart; it's nearly every preschool or daycare you send your child to. It happens at school. It will continue to happen throughout life; don't you find yourself getting sick at work if your coworkers are sick?
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 8:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2010