Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Signed Away Rights

My DD father is going to sign away his rights after the DNA test comes back. I am wondering if I will still be able to get TANF if he does? I live in VA if that helps.

Answer Question

Asked by Momma2Miranda at 3:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 6 (137 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • Do you have someone else ready to adopt your daughter? It isvery rare for someone to be allowed to sign away rights if not, even if you both agree.

    Answer by EverydayMomma at 3:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

  • His name is not on her birth certificate.

    Comment by Momma2Miranda (original poster) at 3:15 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

  • what is tanf?

    Answer by sue118 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

  • As far as welfare is concerned, they don't care if he signed some paperwork or not -- he is still fiscally responsible and if you are getting welfare benefits, the state WILL go after him for child support.
    The only way he would not be held responsible is if someone else legally adopts your daughter.

    Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:25 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

  • yeah, the state will go after him and put him on the birth certificate unless someone else adopts her. if you dont comply they slash your TANF by 25%

    Answer by pookipoo at 3:28 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

  • I should add, I live in Minnesota, although I'm sure the laws are similar in your area. If your ex is the biological father of your daughter, there is no way he can get out of paying for her support, unless you get married and someone else adopts her and agrees to be fiscally responsible for her. I know because we had a close friend who went through this - the dad didn't want to be involved, the mom did not want the dad to be involved, however he still pays child support because she gets daycare assistance.

    Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

  • @pookipoo -- in Minnesota, if you do not comply, you don't get benefits at all!

    Answer by MommaofH2 at 3:30 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

  • Doesn't matter if he's on the birth certificate or not. The state isn't going to let him out of his responsibilities as a father, especially when the mother needs assistance. The only way to take his rights away is if he was abusive or something or he can sign them away when you have someone ready to take them over.

    Answer by EverydayMomma at 3:31 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

  • I don't know what TANF is but from the answers it seems like welfare. If so, in my state a father can only sign his rights away conditionally if no one else adopts the child at the same time. The conditions are, if the mother goes on welfare, the father's rights are restored. So if you are already on it, I dont know if he will even be able to do it.

    Answer by JLS2388 at 4:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

  • if he isn't on the birth certificate, he doesn't have rights anyway... i was on tanf for a time and my oldest sons bio dad wasn't on the birth cert. i refused to give his name/info and they gave me benefits regardless.

    Answer by babymar at 5:56 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting
I heard

Next question overall (Trying to Conceive)
Implantation bleeding