At what age did you start leaving your kid(s) home alone??

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 3:17 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it depends on how mature your children are. With my oldest, he could sometimes be irresponsible and I didn't let him stay home alone til he was a teenager. My oldest daughter is very responsible and I've let her be home alone since she was 11, maybe even 10. Whatever age, just make sure your children know what to do if something happens, who to call if there's an emergency, and not to open the door to strangers. I also don't let mine answer the phone if they don't know who it is, but that's just me.
    KileighR

Answer by KileighR at 9:38 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My oldest son is 12. I will leave them alone for maybe an hour or two. Not longer than that just yet.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My DS is 6 and I haven't yet. Not even to run to the store at the end of the street. Maybe when he is 10 for a quick trip like 10-15 min. I'm not really a good judge though since my DS has some delays.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Probably a lot older than I was.. I was letting myself in and waiting for my brothers to get home at 6 or 7. It was maybe a 1/2 hour. and then completely alone for hours at about 10 w/ my little brother who was 6.

Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 3:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• well, mine are all 8 and ypounger, so Not yet, but I think at 12 i ill for up to an hour
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 4:43 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• i think i was like 9 or 10 when my parents would go shopping for an hour and leave me alone, but i was 12 before they let me walk home from school and not go to day care while they were at work.

for my son i probably wont leave him home alone until he is 12
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 3:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• We started this summer with our 10yo.  We were gone a few hours (we took the other 4 kids with us).  She just watched TV.  Then me and my husband had to run to the store near our house one day so we took the baby and left the other 4 (10, 8 1/2, 7 1/2 and 4 at the time).  We were gone an hour or so.  They called us to ask if they could go outside.  When we got home they were all sitting in our driveway playing with their friends.

The older kids have also come home to an empty house occasionally when I've had to run errands while they were in school and didn't make it home in time.  I trust them (mostly).  They just watch TV when we're not here.  I started staying home alone when I was 8 and I babysat my 6yo brother, too.  We just watched TV and played with our toys.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:38 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• 12
    cerealmom2

Answer by cerealmom2 at 5:51 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I have one that is 12 and one that is 13, but I still dont leave them all day or anything they have a grandmother that would love to come over so they wont be alone or burn the house down trying to cook.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 7:38 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My son is 9 and I leave him to run to the gas sation or to get the mail but not for long periods of time. I will leave him a little longer if i need to run to the store or something but only if his dad is home in bed.
    tdawn_21

Answer by tdawn_21 at 10:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2010