constipated 7 week old..

Any suggestions... My 7 week old baby is constipated and has been for like a week or so the only way he will go is if I use a rectal thermometer and sometimes he'll just strain without going. I called the ped. and she said to switch from Gentleease to Similac Sensitive, I tried putting karo in his formula and nothing. Today is two days since we started the new formula any suggestions besides call the doc again...

courtcaton

Asked by courtcaton at 3:17 PM on Nov. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 7 weeks I'm just not sure. I guess I would keep up with the anal stimulation and (sorry) Call the doctor. With tomorrow being Fri best to do it today or tomorrow then be stuck over the weekend.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:21 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Breast milk is best for constipation even if it is just very part time. it's not to late to re-lactate.
    Anonymous

• A friend had a similar problem, and it turned out her baby was growing really fast at the time and his body was using all the food he ate. Nothing was done, and he resumed pooping on his own.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• My son went every 4-5 days at that age. It was normal for him. The doctor told me babies can go up to 10 days. The only way it is true constipation is if it comes out hard and pebbly. Otherwise it is normal for that age.

mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Try switch formual. Might be a little latcose tolance thing going on. Plus when feeding prop them up a little might help. I was told to lay them on their baby and pedal their legs like a riding a bycycle. To early for juice which might help some. If in doubt call the doctor. No question and no matter how much you call that is what the doctor is there for and plus peace of mind for you. Hang in there.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 3:26 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Daily probiotics mixed into the bottles. All natural, unlike most other "make you poop" meds. Safe for babies too - my DS was on them from 3 weeks til 18 months.
    Anonymous

• Personally when my son was born 17 yrs ago, he could not go the bathroom normally . He also had problems. You may think this is crazy and all. But my grea-great-grandmother(105) suggested I gave him Canned Carnation Evaporatied Milk(the type you use to bake with), with Kero syrup(clear type). You take 1 can Evaporated milk, 4 cans water, w/4-6 tablespoons of Karo Syrup (clear type). The karo syrup will help loosen everything up and clean him out. This is the only way I would give my son, and my daughter as they were babys. I swear by it. Plus its affordable, and no medication is invalved or long waits at the ER w/discomfort. PLEASE TRY THIS you will be AMAZED. Thank you for your time. Sheila R Day PS I have 2 healthy children I believe in old school remendies
    grasshopper1995

Answer by grasshopper1995 at 3:41 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Stay far away from Karo. Karo can be deadly in infants because of the botulism risk it poses. Do NOT use Karo ever!!

When speaking about constipation on must first make sure baby is truly constipated because straining does not mean constipation. Constipation is when baby does go the poop will be in pellets. If your babies bm is not pellet like baby is not constipated and there is no reason to treat baby for constipation. Always stimulating an infant to go to the bathroom is a problem and can lead to lifelong bathroom issues. Baby has to learn how to expel waste (grunting and turning red is rather normal when doing so) and by not allowing his body to naturally take care of it you are hindering not helping his progress. Have you tried a little bit of warm water?

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 4:20 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• Off the bat, I will advise you to STOP Karo syrup. Karo carries a slight risk of botuslim poisoning, and on their website, they specify that you should not give it to infants. Can you tell me about bowel habits? Without help, how often does he go, and what is the stool like when he DOES go? Is it soft, is it runny, is it dry, hard or pellet like? Has the doctor said that it's constipation? It is possible that it's NOT. With the limited information you provided, I can't tell you much though. Also, is there a chance that you might breast feed? As a PP said, breast milk is a natural laxative. I don't know your situation, but if you are interested, I want you to know that it's NOT too late to start nursing. I hope I am able to help!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:20 PM on Nov. 11, 2010

• I agree with relacting. Obviously your baby is having problems with formula and needs breastmilk. There is no safe alternative and your baby may have problems with constipation from formula for the whole year you have to use it. Breastfeeding is recommended for at least 2 years so relactation is worth the bother.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2010